Do you think it's fair that because a parent of a teen is somewhat famous, that the teen who is a mom has the right to get paid to tell other teens her story?

I am sure everyone knows who I am talking about and it has fueled my fire because I was a teen mother who welfare wouldn't help, finished school and went onto college, opened my own business, and live my life to the fullest because I have taken every broken road and smoothed it out. Yet, I was never once paid to tell another teen my story with hopes they wouldn't follow my lead and have a baby or sex. Honestly, I wouldn't want to be paid for it because I have a big heart. It just made me mad that I lived a similiar life and no one could have cared none the less because my parents aren't famous!

JoinMyGCTeam

Asked by JoinMyGCTeam at 6:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No
    ~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Not a Palin fan huh? Me either... lol!

Seriously, I don't get it either... If anything, I think they make a really bad example of teen pregnancies and parents, because their parents are famous... They have things much easier than the average teen mom and make it look that easy.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Lol yeah not so much a Palin fan!

It just really upsets me because of all I have had to sacrafice (and I don't regret a single one!), how hard I had to work to get to where I am today and days short of me opening my business I heard on the radio she was being paid to tell other teens not to have sex! It kind of crashed my world for a few minutes......everytime I see her name I cringe! (I saw it trending and that is what made me ask the question!!)
    JoinMyGCTeam

Comment by JoinMyGCTeam (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My parents were teen parent & to be honest if you have a story to tell, I think you CAN get paid to tell it, part of what makes her story salable though is that people are willing to pay for stories about famous people. I'm not a fan either, but I don't think there's anything wrong with her selling her story if someone is willing to pay.

It sounds like you've had a successful life, write your story, speak to teen groups, you could easily find a market if you're a good writer & public speaker. As a child of teen parents, I'd love to see more people talk to teens about what life is really like, I don't think you have to be famous to do this.

It may not seem fair that she'll get paid an outrageous amount of money for her story, but she also has to deal with more public scrutiny than most teen moms. Every move she makes is in the public eye.I know that my mom didn't have to deal with that or a teen dad who can hurt you public
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Whether you are a Palin fan or not, like it or not, her dau Bristol can put a famous face on this problem in our country. Not quite a realistic face, since she will have financial advantages that most teen moms dont get, but a face nonetheless. If her message is to not do what she did, or that it can even happen to someone like her, then okay. I dont think many teens even know that her mom almost became vice president. Frankly most teens are not that in tune w/ politics or current events. I say however we get the message out to avoid even one more teen pregancy is a good step in the right direction!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Great answers! Thanks, I do agree with all! You know how it is to have that one thing everytime you see it, hear it, smell it, etc that it makes you, ugh!!! This so happens to be one for me.......By the way, I am getting my practice more and more, my son is now a teen himself!!
    JoinMyGCTeam

Comment by JoinMyGCTeam (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• IMO~Who cares. Someone sees an opportunity, they seize it. If she is successful in getting her message out and helping even one person, good for her. The flip side?~ She could be more like Paris Hilton~ which is wasting (snorting, smoking, etc) one's opportunity and fame away... To each their own.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think it is a shame that this girl is getting famous for something that other kids go through and stuggle with and have real problems becasue of. It is like they are actually making it look easy, cool, and like it is something that will actually make you famous. When really most teenage moms struggle and it is hard. Not the end of the world and you can certainly still make a wonderful life for yourself but it isn't like these famous people who have enough money to take care of all the things you need. Do you really think that this girl worries about everything that the ordinary single mom worries about??? Things like the cost of raising a baby, not getting sleep, getting baby sitters so she can work. Please....these girls only make single motherhood look like it is a cake walk and they will NEVER go through what normal everyday people do!!!
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• a lot of things aren't 'fair'..who cares? that's what being a celebrity , or in this case, the daughter of a celebrity, will net you. look around, hon..it happens to everyone, but you or your neighbor or your cousin or BFF. i bet none of us have been paid millions to have People magazine do a photo-spread of our newborns, either! when was the last time one of us got a huge write-up because we adopted a kid from a foreign country?
    whatever this teen-mom gets handed to her is her deal. same with you, same with me. be proud of what you've done with your kid and your life.
    life's like that, that's the way it goes.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Fair? IDK. I don't really think of it in terms of fairness or not. Who do you think would be a good advocate of speaking out about preventing teen pregnancy? People that are more recognized are usually used for this sort of thing because their names are known. Would you listen to what she had to say about teen pregnancy if she was Susie from West Virginia?

Who would you rather see speaking out against teen pregnancy?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2010