Would you be heartbroken if your teen wanted to go live with the other parent?

Which the other parent hadn't called or anything years prior? You get told that there is nothing you can do because your teen is old enough to make the decision themself?

JoinMyGCTeam

Asked by JoinMyGCTeam at 6:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Not really.

I love my son. I love him deeply. But sometimes, I feel like he and I can't relate and that there are parts of being a teen boy I simply *can't* understand or help him deal with. I think maybe his father would be better at it.

Of course, his father doesn't seem to want to BE involved and Gods know his wife sure doesn't want him involved with his previous children, so the point is rather moot.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• If the other parent has not been around too much, then I would start w/ weekends visits. If that teen is under 18 you still get a say in the matter of where he/she lives! They are just thinking the grass is greener right now. It takes a court order to change custody. Tell the teen that you will agree to visits, but you are not willing to take the costly legal action to make it official. (On a more personal note, yes, even tho teens can drive you crazy- it would break my heart too) Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes, I would be heartbroken!
    But at the same time I would respect his decision.
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I will never allow it on my daughter case becasue she only saw him a few times when she was under 3 yrs old and he has donde some creepy things. So I will never allow my daughter go with him.

But lets say me and dh break up and the kids want to go and live him then I will be ok with it. He is a great father and I trust him with the kids even with the daughter that is not biological his.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 6:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes I would be very hurt
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I understand how this must be heart breaking and I know I would be very sad although I would let my child go. I know it would be hard, and I would want to be able to still contact my child, but I would respect their decision.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• yes, since he's a druggie married to a pill popping, drink like a fish lazy piece of sh!t
    MamaMelMel

Answer by MamaMelMel at 4:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yes it would hurt me deeply but I would let her try it to show her the grass isnt always greener on the other side. I would of course welcome her back with open arms when she comes to her senses,lol
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 3:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yes it would kill me...but I would have to give them the chance...I know they will be back...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 1:04 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• This is a very common issue - teens think that their parent is the problem because they have rules. I don't think she gets to just up and leave though, I think she needs to go through the court system - after all, if you have custody, you are legally responsible, she can't just leave ? If she is willing to take all the legal steps then there is nothing you can do. In my case, my DD and I had alot of problems when she decided she no longer wanted a parent - she went as far as trying to call the cops on me and claim abuse and ended up going to live with my parents for a while because it was just too much for us both. It was REALLY hard and heartbreaking but in the long run better for us to have separated for that time. She and I are very close and she recently complimented my parenting (e.g. telling her no at times). It's not you... I know alot of people who've been down this road, PM me if you need support.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010