Boycotting Thanksgiving

Is anyone else considering NOT cooking for Thanksgiving?

I am.

Every year, I spend a week planning the menu, cleaning house, riding roughshod over everyone to get the dining room *just so*. I spend $150+ at the grocery store and 2-3 days stuck in the kitchen cooking and prepping everything. Everyone whines all day long about how LONG till dinner, grabs their plates and eats for 15 minutes, then disappears, leaving me with all the cleanup (which can sometimes take me another THREE days to get done.) And at no point in that does anyone even thank me for my effort, offer to help cook, or clean up. I usually end up w/ people whining about the way the food tastes! By the end of the day, I'm frazzled, exhausted, in tears and feel utterly unappreciated and UNthankful for the holiday.

I'm so tempted this year to just buy some turkey TV dinners and call it good.

geminilove

Asked by geminilove at 6:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If you think that will make your day better then do it!! Everyone's holiday is different, and if that's what works for your family, then why not?

Well, I am not considering boycotting.... but I am considering taking DD to the Macys day parade in NYC and doing something simple for dinner (or going to someone elses house) since I won't have time to cook.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Buy the frozen dinners for them (not stauffers though, that ones actually good haha) and make yourself a cornish hen with whatever sides you want (just enough for 1!) Show them how much effort you're willing to put forth for their negative responses. Maybe next time they will appreciate what you do for them!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 6:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Years ago I started preparing the food I could ahead, and putting it in disposable foil pans. I also started buying festive paper plates because I knew I didn't want all of the extra clean-up....no one has ever complained about our more casual Thanksgiving, but I know they'd be disappointed if I didn't make the special meal. I've actually found that Thanksgiving isn't all that expensive, since most of the food is on sale so cheap. The other thing is, my guys are actually happy to eat the left overs all weekend, which means I DON'T COOK all weekend long.

I do understand though, I have 3 sons and my husband, when we used to have extended family over I did all of the cooking, and guys don't think they have to do anything but eat and watch football!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I don't really have to worry about that, my family has a get together, but it's not at my house. Whoever's house it's at cooks the turkey and everyone else make a side dish and a desert, we use paper plates, cups and silverware so it's not that bad to clean up. We usually have it as a late luch than hang out and have deserts later
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I can understand the way you feel!

I used to make 10 different sides and 5-6 desserts.

Now I make 4-5 sides and 2 desserts.

Big paper plates is such a good idea, paper cups, too.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Thanks y'all. I'm off to research ready-to-order Thanksgiving dinners....

If everyone else can sit around with their feet up for 4 days, why the heck can't *I*???

CHEERS!
    geminilove

Comment by geminilove (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I never cook for Thanksgiving. I don't feel this is a "holiday" which should be promoted or celebrated in any way. IF my DH's family decides to have dinner, he takes the kids, but beyond that, we order out.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010