Best Thanksgiving Story

Since I'm considering NOT cooking this year, I thought I'd share my favorite T-day story and invite y'all to share yours.

When I was 1st on my own I was too broke to fly home, so I decided to have an "Orphan's Thanksgiving" at my place, inviting all my friends/neighbors who also couldn't get home, had to work, etc.

I ended up with dinner for THIRTEEN in my tiny 300sq ft apartment. All my neighbors opened up their houses to me, letting me use their stoves and ovens and I ended up cooking in FOUR different kitchens to get it all done.

We sat on floors and pillows with mismatched tablewear and people in/out constantly, but it was GREAT fun. Everyone laughed and ate their fill and took leftovers home. We piled into each other's houses to clean up and then got completely drunk watching the game.

I've never had a more fun (and stressless!) Thanksgiving in my life.

geminilove

Asked by geminilove at 6:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Okay, we moved from Los Angeles to Wyoming 10 years ago. Our first Thanksgiving there, we didn't have any family, and also had an "orphan's" Thanksgiving at our home. I cooked the traditional dinner, but one of those
    big old hunter cowboys, thought it would be fun to bring a duck he had killed as well. He handed it to my husband, and he and all of the other "hunter/cowboys" followed my husband out to the backyard for him to "pluck it". Well they drank beer and watched him pluck one feather at a time out of that poor dead duck, until it was finally clean....then the cowboy who had brought the duck said to my California Beach Boy husband....."Ya' know, for future reference, if you dip the bird in a pot of boiling water the feathers will pretty much fall out." All of the guys were laughing, and my husband was pretty embarrassed!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• sorry thanksgiving is just the opposite for me. I always have horrible luck around that holiday. Someone either dies or becomes really sick or there is a huge family blow up :(.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2010