I need good advice about birth control?

Im about to have my first daughter and I couldnt be happier... but im only 19 and with this pregnancy I learned that I want to wait a very long time (at least 10 years) untill i have my second child. I have heard of a couple birth control methods but i was wondering if anyone had any advice about a good birthcontrol ?

mayramommy1991

Asked by mayramommy1991 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• if youre not planning on having kids for that long then you should probably consider and IUD like MIRENA. its a T shaped device that is placed into your uterus by a doctor and lasts up to 5 years. if you choose to have more kids sooner it can be taken out and you can get pregnant within 2 months. i have nothing against the pill, or the shot just suggesting an IUD because you dont have to worry about it on a daily or monthly basis. good luck
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Its a very personal decision. My "fav." is the birth control pill. It has been around the longest. I took the depo shot & now wonder what effects it has had- will i have problems getting pregnant when we are ready, is it a reason for my weight problems? It can also cause a woman to bleed alot, or no periods at all.. which neither is good. Personally i do not like IUD's its just odd having something in me, and dealing with the string & scarring factor could make next conception difficult.
    Anything that alteres a woman cycle worries me, i dont think its right for a woman to not have a period for long periods of time (unless its occuring naturally in the body that is)...

So really. do your research. Question yourself & go with what works best for you & makes you feel most comfortable :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have the Mirena and I love it! I had it after I had my second daughter at 19. I had another one put it at 23.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have the Paragard IUD. It makes your periods heavier, longer, and crampier, but mine were never bad to begin with, so it probably just made it more like many people's normal periods. I like it because it doesn't have any hormones, so I'm not getting synthetic hormones put in me that mess with my mood and my normal body cycles. It lasts 10 years too, so it turns out to be one of the most cost-effective options. I don't have to remember anything and I don't have to go buy stuff. It's super simple.
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I personally have only ever used the shot, and while I LOVED it while I was on it (I stopped having periods) I now hate it! I've been off for almost two years, after having been on it for 4.5yrs. I get a "period" every 2wks or so. Finally today I went to the doctors because with past family medical history regarding getting pregnant and all my cycle problems, I need to know what's up. He said that I'm not ovulating and the lining of my uterus is getting thicker and thicker, which at my age and the length of time that it's been isn't worrisome right now, but years down the line if I went untreated if would be very bad. He started me on progesterone, and hopefully that'll start my cycles back to normal...So...I personally don't recommend the shot.

I have friends that have the Implanon and the copper IUD, and they really like them...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 10:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Personally, I will NEVER recommend the Mirena to ANYONE. That thing almost put me in the hospital several times, dried up my milk, I gained about 40lb after getting it (while dieting and exercising!), had terrible migraines, lost a lot of hair, broke out a lot, etc. It was horrible. If you want an IUD, go hormone free (Paragard). It lasts longer than the Mirena, also. I typically recommend the pill, though, because it's worked the best for me. I know that my experiences are not the same as everyone else's, but I think it's important to not just hear the "Oh I LOVE my birth control!" stories when you're choosing a new one.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have a marina atm and I have had a few problems with it like pain, hair loss and breakouts but with a 2yo running a muck, working 45+ hours a week and everything else I am doing it's nice to not have to remember a pill. Plus I got pregnant twice on the pill, so I don't really trust them, lol. And believe me, I took them religiously! It's up to you and your doctor will help you decide. Also the marina will set you back some money if your insurance won't cover it but it's cost adds up to 5 years of BC.

colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 11:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• IUDs are THE MOST EFFECTIVE method of birth control (even more than a tubal or vas!), AND they're completely and IMMEDIATELY reversible, meaning that when it comes time to have another baby, you can start trying as soon as you have it removed (although it's recommended you wait until you get home first).
    Mirena is hormonal, similar to BC pills, and lasts up to 5 years. Paragard is non-hormonal, and lasts 10 years. With either one, when they "expire", you can get a new one put right back in.
    www.mirena-us.com/
    www.paragard.com/
    Depo Provera (the shot) is another option, but I've talked to more people that hated it than liked it. I gained 45 lbs in 9 months on it, and my moods were all over the place.
    There's also the pill, and there are many different options on the market,
    I now have Mirena, and I am happy with it.
    Do your research, and do what's best for you. Remember than none of these prevent disease transmission!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I personally don't trust any birth control. After seeing all of these commercials about blood clots, stroke, etc. It is all scary to me. I am 23 weeks pregnant now with my first child. I didn't think I could get pregnant for a while. My bf and I went 2 years of unprotected sex and nothing. Until now of course..lol. I'm worried about the same thing. I haven't been on birth control for many years and scared to try anything out there with the risk of health problems and infertility. I think I will just hold out for male birth control..lol. Let them risk it for a while!
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 1:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2010