Would this make you mad??No trick or treating?

My husband requested to get off one hour eariler on Halloween to take our 5 year old daughter trick or treating. He is the only one in the office with a child and his boss won't let him off because she already let 2 other people off that day so they could go to a party.
My daughter has severe allergies so she can't eat Chocolate or peanuts, but can have suckers, smarties, skittles, etc. His boss said that since she can't have some treats we shouldn't take her trick or treating so she wouldn't let him off early for those two reasons!
Ohhh I am disappointed and feel she should not have made that comment. What do you moms think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She has no right to tell you what you should and should not do with your daughter. And your daughters health as far as allergies is none of her business. You obviously are vey aware she has these allergies and would not give her those types of candies if they landed in her bag. I would be LIVID! No one has the right to tell me what I should and should not do with my kids. That was very unprofessional and one hour is not much to ask. Family comes first. If he has good hook ups I would tell him to just leave an hour early and get a new job if he gets fired.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I think that if there is an HR person he can talk to, then he should do it. I can understand not allowing him time off because 2 other people are already off, but to say that he cant have time off because his daughter shouldnt go trick or treating is wrong and over stepping proffesional boundries.

I am sorry he cant go. :(
    mom2AJandDamien

Answer by mom2AJandDamien at 11:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Asctually if falls under discrimination. I would have thrown that in her face.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 11:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• The boss can do what he/she wants; the boss doesn't have to let anyone off earlier for any reason.... It sucks for your DH and you, but that's the reality of it.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I think her comment was totally unprofessional and innapropriate. She should have just left it at the fact that she already let 2 people go early.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 11:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Thats not right I can see if she wont let him off early but for her to say you should not take her for her allergies thats not right I would say something if I was you DH Have a fun Halloween
    tryingmom203

Answer by tryingmom203 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Coming from a manager point of view...she didn't have to say those comments about your child. What she said was wrong, but why was the point of your child having allergies to candy even brought up to her by your husband? Like an above poster said, he needs to talk to the HR department about what she said to him. She won't get fired and probably won't get anything more than a slap on the hand, but the incident will be recorded.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• She will also probably be told to seperate herself from employees and their personal life which is a good idea for both her and your husband. One thing I have always learned from being a manger is never get involved with the personal life of an employee no matter how small the issue may seem because it can just come back to bite both parties in the butt. I'm sorry this manager was so inconsiderate to your daughter's issue, but there is nothing you personally can do, only your husband can deal with this problem.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• does he work really late? Often we have to go out later cause my SO works late too. He requested this year off though.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I had things like that happen to me when I worked. My husband was away at bootcamp so it was just me and my 15 month old. I requested Thanksgiving off so I could spend it with her and they told me no because they had already given it to a another girl who wanted to drive 30 mins to the next town to spend it with her family. It really didn't feel fair but I guess first come first serve. I do not think she should told you that you shouldn't take your daughter or make that one of her reasons and you could throw descrimination at her on that one.
    Anonymous