Is his teacher taking this too seriously?

My son has moderate autism. He describes everything and everything he's sees that interests him. Lately he's had an obsession with calling people around him by the Teletubbies' names. He calls me Laa Laa and laughs. Last week he started calling a girl in his class Dipsey. The teacher,and now her mom are livid about it. The issue is that the girl is in a wheelchair and is very handicapped,can't talk. The thing is,because of my son's disability,he's incapable of actually making fun of someone. He just thinks its funny to give his friends and family silly names. Most people he ignores. If he pays attention to you its because he really likes you. I think its unfair to make such a big deal out of this. My son is handicapped too. If a disabled student called my son by a character name,I'd just blow it off. A "normal"kid would be a different matter.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree that although your son may not mean anything by it, it may hurt the little girls feelings. I think that although your son is autistic, it's important for him to try to learn compassion and empathy for others as well, on the other hand, it would be good for the little girl to understand that he only gives special names to people that he likes. It would be great if the parents and teacher could get on the same page and use this as a learning experience for both children.

I have a child who had some special challenges as well. He actually got in trouble in kindergarten for kissing everyone. He didn't understand that just because you like people doesn't mean you can kiss them. It was a very difficult lesson for him to learn. He made a couple of little girls cry, and he didn't understand why he was being sent to the principal's office. Try to explain to a 5 year old with special challenges what sexual harassment is.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• IT sounds to me like your son just likes this little girl and doesn't know how else to show it. It's a shame that everyone takes things so seriously. Maybe you could get a picture of her and try always calling her by name or come up with a "pretty" nickname he could call her that they wouldn't take offense to.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 7:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Can't you tell the mom that he gave the girl a nickname because he likes her? I can't believe they don't smile and think that's cute!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I agree, some people are just inconsiderate. I think the teacher and the mom might have some kind of disability as well...hmmm?
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 7:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would have a meeting with the principal and the teacher. Is this teacher for real? All of the children are disabled they do not know. You can only explain and hope they understand. I agree with you.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think that the question is this, Can the girl understand what he is saying? I mean there are lots of different handicaps, just because she is in a wheelchair and cant talk doesn't mean that she doesn't understand and that her feelings may be hurt, especially because she has those handicaps. If she can understand that then I see where they are coming from. I get that your son doesn't mean anything by it but it may hurt her feelings. And I really do understand that your son is not being mean, it is just the other side to look at.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I agree both sides need to understand the other....
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Anyway, with the help of a very special teacher....and a lot of persistence and work, my son learned about boundaries.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• "If your kid went around calling people crackah or n*gger, would you expect the teacher and the mom to be considerate? Think about it."

___________
    I am so glad you posted this anonymously....REALLY!! Very ignorant comparison! We are talking about kids with disabilities here, he's not using a bad name on this girl. There could be several reasons he could be calling this girl that, I have never heard a teletubby name be used to insult anyone. Again if these children didn't have disabilities then yeah, I would agree the nickname calling would get annoying, that's where the consideration should kick in. Some people just love to be superanal!
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 7:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• is this teacher equipped to handle a autistic child?
    speaking as someone with a handicap, one handicap does not count more than another one. I admit that I got cocky after a treatment that causes me to get a big mouth. After that treatment, if a thought comes to my head, it comes out my mouth.
    I ride a service for the handicapped and a girl wouldn't quit yelling at the driver demanding that he take her home and now, and kept asking when he was going to take her home.
    I had a headache and she was getting me anxious- so I blurted out to her that the driver wasn't going to take her home, that he was going to leave her on a street corner.
    she started freaking out and asked why, so then I told her that if she'd be really quiet, then I figured he would re-think the plan and maybe take her home.
    shut her up really quick!
    I didn't mean to be mean either, but a person's conditions are what they are.
    Good luck with it all!
    Anonymous