How can I sell what I make?

Okay, so I'm an awsome, passionate cook. Time and again my family and friends tell me that I should sell my food, but I don't have a clue as to how to do that. I have very, very little money to invest in this. Does anyone have any ideas????

AshlyN.

Asked by AshlyN. at 7:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's hard to make money without having some money to invest. You should just start small or see about getting a loan if you are really serious about selling your food
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I guarantee you there is a book somewhere out there that will tell you how to start a small catering business.

If you don't have much money, research what materials you will need besides ingredients. Start slow buying one thing at a time. Then, ask your friends to recommend you to other friends...start small with private in-home parties. Things like that. You will grow as people start recommending you to other people.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 7:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Check into state regulations as well. I have had friends look into opening a bakery and the regulations were crazy! Just double check before you start and then get into trouble.

Research the topic and make sure there is a need in you community. Maybe run a survey?

Easiest would be to join a party paln that involves cooking. I know my Pampered Chef lady does an awesome job making her parties unique by using their products and sharing her recipes. Takes the guess work out for you. You would get to do something you are passionate about and have all the legalaities worked out!
    Good luck to you!
    Linda
    www.Team4Dreams
    I Get Moms Dreamim Again!
    lradant

Answer by lradant at 7:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Get the word out to all friends and acquaintences that you will cook for them.............you can do their weeknight dinners, special weekend meals, etc. Do your homework first and make a list of your favorite easy recipes that you always get compliments on, what you would charge to make it, etc. Figure out your hourly wage and you'll know what to charge for labor. They would have to get the ingredients, or you can, and give them the receipt. Try to think of every angle so you can easily answer questions. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Print out flyers girl and get some business cards!
    uniquemom30

Answer by uniquemom30 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Also..........you should check local laws and make sure there is no problem doing meals...........having right temperatures, etc.........for others if this were to grow.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You could start by posting an ad on Craigslist as a personal chef 3x a week or something!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 9:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Make your own fliers on the computer print them out spread them around town, put them up at the post office grocery store etc. Send a PERSONAL e-mail to everyone saying you are looking to cater parties, spread the word...

Business cards are good, but tiny and get lost...Go to www.vistaprint.com make up free postcards (you pay S/h) spread em out.

Put a notice up on FB that you are looking to starting Catering or selling specialities or something and spread the word
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Start out maybe doing local festivals. Just get a vendors permit, wont cost much. Get a tent and sell our food that way. Get the word out with business cards, doing private parties etc....
    Dolotuc

Answer by Dolotuc at 9:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Craft shows. Or start you're own business.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2010