anxiety and lexapro?

my doctor just gave me 2 weeks of samples of lexapro to try for my anxiety. i went online and checked it out and it said they do not have a generic. is it expensive? im only on my first day so no sign of anything changing yet. if you took lexapro how did it affect you?

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 7:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Health

• I personally would only use meds as a last resort because you end up having withdraw symptoms if you don't wean yourself off first. Anyway...sorry that's no help. I don't know how much it costs
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I was on lexapro for a little while, but I only had to pay a 20 dollar co-pay.

I did not do well on lexapro. It made me more anxious and it took away my sex drive completely. If you want I can tell you how I got rid of my anxiety without meds. PM me if interested.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 7:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I actually just got off lexapro it worked at 1st and then quit working. May I suggest the linden method? It works, lexapro for me made things worse
    ShootingStar03

Answer by ShootingStar03 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It takes a lot longer than two weeks for you to notice any effects. Usually the full effect is felt within 3 or 4 weeks. Unfortunately, there is no generic yet and it is expensive if you don't have insurance or assistance. I pay $22 for a 30 day supply and without insurance, it's over $150 for 30 days. So, yes it is expensive. Two weeks worth will only get enough in your system to make you feel horrible when you run out. Everyone reacts different to antidepressants. What will work for some will not work for others. I take it with Wellbutrin and it's been a good combination. I don't have as much anxiety as I used to.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Everyone's system is different - I was allergic to Lexapro - I too took it with Wellbutrin (which there is a generic for) and it worked for me - until I broke out in hives. I hope you can find a medication that works for you that isn't ridiculously expensive. Good luck.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 8:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• For the first week, I became more anxious. Then it dramatically reduced my anxiety...It is expensive, yes.....
    Anonymous

• ahh this scares me! My therapist is wanting me to see a psych for meds ... I dont want my sex life to go down. I dont want withdrawal (addiction runs deep in my family).
    Hoping the best for the OP.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I am on Lexapro for anxiety and it works okay. It is expensive. I hope eventually I am not on it anymore and I am prepared for the coming down off of it. I don't freak out in the car like I used to.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 11:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• About 3 years ago, I took Lexapro. It will help if you need it. I took it for depression. It worked well with me and helped me. I don't really know how expensive it was because my dad was helping me pay for it. I didn't really had a hard time getting off of it tho because I had a lot of support and help from my loved ones. I wish you the best of luck!
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I took it and had a severe allergic reaction to it, my throat started swelling up. I don't know what it costs because the dr gave me samples to see how I would do with it first.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2010