Potty training. When is it time?

I pushed potty training too much with my first. He potty trained at 2 and half, but did regress some and wouldn't use the potty for relatives or teachers. I just think I pushed it too much. My younger son is 2 and half and is not potty trained at all! I have him watch his brother and stand next to the toilet etc. but he doesn't go. He shows no interest in going and I just don't want to push it. Should I wait till he's 3 or what? Boys are hard to train arggh! Help!

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 7:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't push it, most kids aren't trained now until they are 3. People think just because the age was always 2 they should be trained by 2. I use to work in a daycare and I ran a daycare for two years in my home, alot of parents want them trained because they can't move up to the 3 year old class until they are trained. Just casually have him sit on the potty and watch his brother and dont listen to other people tell them he will go when hes ready period.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Make sure he is really ready. One of my sons was almost three before he was ready. You can Google toilet training readiness and review the signs that they are getting there. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• If he is not showing any interest I would not push him although I do not think this is to early to start. You might want to try something like a calendar. I did this with my kids and worked great. I made a calendar that we put up in the bathroom. Then I took them to the store and let them pick out stickers. Then when they started going potty we would let them put a sticker on the calendar every time they went. After "X" amount of times we would let them choose something to do, either picking what we have for dinner, going for ice cream or playing a game.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010