I'm considering using Mirena for birth control. I'd like to hear from anyone who's used it or is using it. Have you had any problems? What are your periods like? Was it painful when inserted?

Elizabeth1015

Asked by Elizabeth1015 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Health

• i just recently got mirena. about 2 weeks ago. so far I LOVE IT. i mean whats easier than getting it inserted and then forgetting about birth control for 5 years?? AND it doesnt make you gain weight! this was the very best option for me, but everyone is different. when they insert it, they use a long skinny tube to push it through and essentially it works just like a tampon. it kind of hurts but maybe that's just me b/c i just had a c-section. it does make you have cramps for about an hour after it's placed but they're not strong. i just got over my first period and it only lasted 3 days, not very heavy and surprisingly for me, cramp free! lol. (too long gotta continue..)
    cortez_mommy

Answer by cortez_mommy at 11:50 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• .......mirena has 2 strings come down that you're supposed to check every now and then to make sure they're still in place. if you're partner can feel them, your doctor can "trim" them at your next visit. my fiance can feel them and says they're not comfortable, but my app, isnt till the 16th so i dont know what thats like yet. but anyways, it doesnt hurt when its in, you cant even feel it, and it has the same odds as any other method in which most people forget (like the pill, or the patch), so this was the best choice for me and i would fully recommend it to anybody.

hope this helps!
    cortez_mommy

• i have the paragard and have had it for over a year now. i love it! im sure it hurt the same as the mirena. the difference is that you can leave it in for 10 years and it doesnt have the hormones like mirena. you still have your period but its worth it to me. lol!
    jessb25

Answer by jessb25 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2008