Can milk CAUSE leg cramps?

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I swear for years now if I cave in and drink a big glass of cow's milk (adult onset lacotse intolerance) I'm up for the rest of the night w/ horribly leg cramps. The kind that fling you out of bed. Does anyone else have this happen, or know why it would make any sense at all? I always heard that charlie horses were from not enough calcium.

new_mom808

Asked by new_mom808 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Health

• Absolutely. You are probably sensitive to dairy which can cause low iron & lead to restless leg syndrome.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• dehydration also caused leg cramps. Also, it's potassium not calcium that you need to prevent cramps. If I were you I would drink more water and eat bananas and kiwi for potassium. Hopefully that helps!
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 8:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Potassium potassium potassium!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 8:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• LOL, I understand that low potassium can cause cramps. I really never get them, unless I drink milk. It's the strangest thing.
    new_mom808

Comment by new_mom808 (original poster) at 7:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Your calcium/magnesium ratio is probably off. Try supplementing w/magnesium.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2010