Judge rejects Brewers challenge, thoughts?

In her decision, Bolton also found that "race, alienage, or national origin discrimination was a motivating factor in the enactment of S.B. 1070," and maintained that the lawsuit was appropriate due to the "alleged harm to the organizational plaintiffs will occur if S.B. 1070 goes into effect, regardless of how it is enforced or applied."

From Courthouse News:

Bolton found merit in the plaintiffs' arguments for potential Fourth Amendment and 14th Amendment violations because the immigration law "contains no meaningful procedural safeguards against erroneous deprivations of liberty, and immigration status is not something that is easily ascertainable. A person who is lawfully present in the U.S. may look and act the same way as a person who does not have permission to be in the country, and plaintiffs' allegations of 'subjective and arbitrary' detention decisions by law enforcement agents are plausible."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Hi...I am Grace.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. I actually have nothing to add to this post, i just love to see me avatar.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I don't think anyone on ether side thought the judge would accept Brewer's request to dismiss. "The judge also threw out a few of the plaintiffs' claims for "lack of standing."  I think this will be a long drawn out process..  There are still some very good aspects of the bill that ARE in place and being enforced...  So, bit by bit the state needs to do what it has to do in order to protect the LEGAL citizens of the state of AZ

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think she's right.

The law was horribly written.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No sweet, the Supreme Court has the last word. Their opinion is the one that counts.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Hi...I am Grace. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. I actually have nothing to add to this post, i just love to see me avatar.

I wonder if I checked those upvotes it would be from any of the (hypocrites) who go on and on about the maturity of others....because THAT just OOZES maturity.

This is one (liberal) judge.....lets see how this plays out. But I will say I think OTHER countries need to stay out if it. THEY dont habe  free for all borders and need to leave it alone....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• One persons opinion.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Apparently more than one......and it IS the ONE that counts

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Get over it.

November 2 is almost here and Libs are going to get the shock of their lives!             dancing

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• As if this is surprising at all
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Okay, wait a minute ...
    Is the judge KIDDING?! Is she really that DENSE? Or does she think everybody else is dense enough for her to get away with this claim?
    "...A person who is lawfully present in the U.S. may look and act the same way as a person who does not have permission to be in the country, and plaintiffs' allegations of 'subjective and arbitrary' detention decisions by law enforcement agents are plausible."

If a person does NOT have a driver's license to show a police officer at a traffic stop, that is "acting" in a VERY DIFFERENT way than someone who is here legally. Why do we provide Visas and green cards if not for the purpose of showing them to our security people?!

And the White House's accusation that there will be "subjective & arbitrary detentions" is fake (lawyers can put ANYTHING into a brief) and has no basis in the law they were blocking.

Plus, everything in the AZ law mirrors the Federal law, so ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2010