2 year old tantrums...

My 2 1/2 year old is throwing horrible tantrums. I mean to the point that they make me cry because I don't know what to do to stop them. She throws things, screams so loud and high pitched that people stare, say things or ask us to leave places. She bangs her head on the wall, kicks, hits, bites, everything you can think of. It's terrible. It is to the point that I don't even want to take her out in public anymore because she embarrasses me so badly. I punish her, time outs, toys taken away, swat on the butt, talking to her, etc. I need advice, I'm at my wits end. Its becoming very draining mentally, and physically. What can I do to stop these fits? Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok. First of all, hugs, mama. This too shall pass. Just need a little calm, a little patience, and a blanket . At home, when she starts her tantrum, if you need to, take a deep breath and count slowly to ten. Wrap her up in a blanket burrito style and either sing softly or talk to her softly. Hold her in a bear hug or roll her over on her tummy and rub her back. She can't throw things that way and eventually she'll stop screaming. In public, drop everything, carry her outside calmly and either fasten her in her car seat or bear hug her. At this age she's old enough to know what gets attention and what doesn't. Is she doing this at the same time or different times of the day? Encourage her to use her words after you've both calmed down. Good luck, mama. Hang in there. You can do this.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• When my daughter would throw a tantrum at home,I would do the same things that she would,throw myself on the ground kick scream right along with her and she would look at me and realize how stupid I looked,and made her think that she looks like that to,she hardly ever has them anymore at all so it works
    Baileysmommie12

Answer by Baileysmommie12 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• when my little one throws her fits at home i just let her throw herself down and whatnot and dont give in..if where out like at walmart or a store.. i will hold her tight and cary her to get what i need,,we usaly get the big cart kids can sit in and that keeps her entertained..but if where out eating and she throws her fits,,i also hold her firm and dont let her get down and run,if she gets to loud take her to the bathroom until she calms down...
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2010