Would it matter to you if your teenage babysitter is pregnant?

I needed a sitter for my son this week and called a teenager from my church. The mom said that she'd call her daughter and ask her if she could. She then asked if I knew that the young lady was pregnant. I said yes, so ? She said to some people it mattered, I assured her to me it does not. Should it? I believe we're not to judge and what does her being pregnant have to do with how she babysits my son.

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 8:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• People stuck in religion it will matter to them... it is old law thinking. It would not matter to me, I actually see it as a great oppurtunity for her to prepare herself for her future as a mother by babysitting your son. I look at it from a grace point of view.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't care and I would think it would only be helping this young lady. She needs income and experience with children. I would rather hire a pregnant teen than one who goes out and spends money on stupid stuff.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Pregnant? No. Irresponsible and untrustworthy? Yes. But I've known many non-pregnant teens whom I wouldn't hire to babysit.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 9:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Nope, it wouldn't matter one bit to me. Just because someone is a teen or pregnant or pregnant as a teen doesn't mean they can't care for a child properly.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No, I don't think pregnancy is a real way to determine whether someone will be reliable with my child. To be honest, someone who is pregnant just might take the job more seriously, since they might start to understand what a gift a child is, or may realize that its what they have to look forward to.

So just pregnant, no. There would have to be other issues before I would have to think twice.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No, it would not matter at all. I'd actually be excited for her, because any extra time she spends with children before having her own can only be a benefit to her.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'm glad the mother wanted to protect her daughter from judgement, which I could see being a problem when she is coming through the chuch. The best babysitter I had ended up pregnant and by that time was such a part of our little family we celebrated. Other teenagers who babysat were often irresponsible after putting on a good front - leaving my daughter with their older sister when they got bored, changing plans at the last minute/unreliable, etc. Not all of them, but enough that it makes me cringe... The teen moms were pretty darn good I have to say...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't think it should matter at all.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It wouldn't bother me.
    soapbubbles

Answer by soapbubbles at 9:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• it would only bother me if i knew her to be irresponsible..and not in the 'irresponsibly-pregnant' way. of course, if i knew she couldn't be trusted with responsibility, i wouldn't have called in the first place, would i??? LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010