What exactly is WIC for?

just curious about WIC and when would one us it?

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 8:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• WIC covers Milk, formula and some other thing for low income moms and children.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• – collapse
    WIC is just like food stamps
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• It's Women, Infants and Children, and it's intended as a supplemental program to help pregnant women and young children get the nutrition they need. Based on income level, it provides children under 5 (I believe?) and pregnant women with foods such as milk, cheese, bread, fruit, peanut butter, etc. You're given vouchers every month to use for these items and you just get the items out of the grocery store aisles and present them at the register along with your voucher and WIC card.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• well its for women infants and children up to age 5.......on wic you get fruits vegies juices milk cheese eggs bread beans or peanut butter and for us families who make to much to get food stamps quify for wic and it really helps....also if you use formula and baby food wic covers that....they dont give you enough to make it through the month but it shure does help
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 9:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• WIC is NOTHING like food stamps. lol. Wic is a searies of 'checks' that have a specific product you can buy listed on it. FOr example I have a child over 2 so I get 5 checks. 1) Gallon 2% milk, 36 oz cereal, 1 dozen eggs
    2) 1/2 gallon milk, 16 oz. cheese
    3) 2 62 oz juice 1 gallon milk
    4) 16 oz dry beans or PB 2 of either 16 oz. brown rice, wheat bread or wheat tortillas. 4 cans condensed milk
    5) 6 dollars worth of fresh frozen or canned veggies.

Only certain brands qualify, Some items specify the cheapest brand. Infants get formula or if the mother is breast feeding or pregnant she gets food. It is supplemental. It is for pregnant women and children to age 5.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• WIC also helps support breastfeeding. they have pumps you can use for free if you are working and can't afford a breast pump. they can also answer many questions about breastfeeding. it is made to add on healthy food to what you already buy.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 10:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• WIC is a fabulous program that encourages pregnant, nursing, and postpartum women and children to eat better gives them the opportunity to get these foods for free. It is a supplemental food program and provides staples to the household. WIC also encourages breastfeeding for 12 months and gives breastfeeding mothers great resources such as lactation consultants, breast pumps, and extra food every month.
    KristeenieB

Answer by KristeenieB at 10:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• WIC is for women and children (I believe under 5 yo).

It helps with things like milk, food, formula, eggs, etc.

You have to qualify for it (make under so much). It's best to go online and find your closest local WIC in your area and stop in there.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That IS interesting! I never knew! Thanks!
    I am too old now, but I bet when I had kids and my Dh was in the military off fighting wars in SE Asia,I could have used some help.
    Anonymous