How can long time govrnment employees be for term limits?

and be a LONG TIME GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE?

Wouldn't they limit themselves on principle?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Government Employees are EMPLOYEES and in most local/state gov't structure not responsible for the actual lawmaking. that impacts citizens lives..  Again with the apples and oranges comparisons?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Should be long term elected officials,  The ones that say they are for term limits but have made a career of it

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Civil servants aren't elected officials making decisions that impact our lives, they are paper pushers.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think hell has frozen over, because for once, I agree with you.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My guess is that they really aren't for term limits, they just know that their more vocal constituents are for term limits. They are saying what they need to say to get elected (they all do). It won't happen and I am not sure that it should, IMO. If there are term limits then you have more elected officials willing to kamikaze vote right before their limits are up. It won't necessarily be best for us. What would be best is if the voting abled adults would do research and actually get involved enough to vote for the person they feel would represent their ideals best. But that's not going to happen either.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My guess is that they really aren't for term limits, they just know that their more vocal constituents are for term limits. They are saying what they need to say to get elected (they all do).

I was watching an interview with Ron Paul who has pushed this for years...but han been a member of congress for 20 years??

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Which is why I watch what a politician does in addition to listening to what they say. If the two don't mesh, then there is a conflict of interest. They all think they are more important to the rest of us than they really are. Very rarely will someone with power easily give it up. Most elected officials don't quite get when a good time to exit is, they just hang onto that power like it's their lifeline.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Right off the top of my head, the answer would be, they can be for it out of a sense of right and wrong, out of their experience of seeing first-hand what tends to be the result of a Congressman who stays in office for decades.

Since every person is an individual, I cannot lump together all "long-time elected officials" and claim that "they" have the same motivations. Some may be paying lip-service to the idea of term limits to make themselves look good, while others are sincere in their support for the idea.

As to Ron Paul, his record WOULD superficially appear to be insincere. But it has been important to have him there in Congress - he has for years been a lone voice of restraint over proposals to expand govt power beyond the Constitution, over plans to spend and tax more; he has been gradually persuading fellow Congressmen about auditing the Federal Reserve, etc.

He can retire once we have more people like him in there.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:45 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• As to Ron Paul, his record WOULD superficially appear to be insincere. But it has been important to have him there in Congress

That is hypocritical (of him) You can't claim you are pro term limits EXCEPT FOR ME OF COURSE CAUSE IM GOOD....Don't you think they ALL believe that?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2010