To all the BF mommies! Whats the easiest way to stop nursing!?

I would like to stop BF my son, who is 10 months old. He is cutting his 8th tooth and bites way to often!
Any suggestions?
He doesn't use bottles, I've tried just switching and it doesn't work!

jasesmommy0529

Asked by jasesmommy0529 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would teach him to stop biting instead of weaning. Both my boys learned very quickly not to bite the boob that feeds them!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• what about teaching nursing manners? teeth and biting don't have to be a reason to quit. what do you plan on doing for nutrition, since breastmilk or formula HAS to make up AT LEAST 75% of his diet until a year of age?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/nursing-manners.html

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I honestly would prefer not to stop but, don't know how to get him to stop. I have tried telling me no in a stern way when he does it. Doesnt seem to help. Any help?
    jasesmommy0529

Comment by jasesmommy0529 (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Google "nursing manners" and I would bet you would get an idea of things to do.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My son didn't bite but he did pinch and I would take my breast away and put him down for a few minutes and say, "if you are going to pinch me then you may not nurse". I would wait about 5 mins (he usually cried the entire time, it was horrible) and then pick him up and say, "ok, no pinching and you can nurse". I did this for about 3 days and he stopped. Good luck
    KristeenieB

Answer by KristeenieB at 10:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• When my daughter bit me, I would say very sternly, "no biting!" and then I put her on the floor. Nursing session over. I would walk away or ignore her for about 30 seconds. She didn't like that at all and she only bit me a couple of times before she learned not to bite.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have found that my kids only bit when they were pretty much done nursing or if something was distracting them. Watch for your baby to slow down or if he is off then on and end the nursing session. If you can hold out for a couple of months, you can switch to milk and be done. Otherwise, try to pump and just use a sippy cup instead of bottles so you don't have to switch again in a couple of months. Hope it works out for you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Nursing manners work for some kids, not all of them get it. He may not even realize that he's biting. My DD would bite if she was finished, not hungry, or trying to concentrate on other things while she was nursing. If he just won't stop and if you respond to a pump, you could pump and put the milk in a sippy cup. Good luck, Mama.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 11:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• What has worked best for me with all 3 of my EBF kids is to watch and learn WHEN they are going to bite and take them off BEFORE they do. Telling them no and taking them off never worked for me. They can't bite when actively nursing. Sometimes it is just a matter of watching for them to stop actively sucking/swallowing and then take them off. Don't let them "hang out" after a feeding. I was just talking to another mom nursing her 3rd and she said the same thing worked for her! If you still need more info go to When Baby Bites

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Sorry it is being glitchy and not letting me make a link When babies bite is at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010