My female cat occasionally cuts farts,like once a month,do you think there is something wrong with her digestive tract,is this normal for cats to pass gas?

I've been around dogs for years and I've never smelled any gas from them.She's a older cat,I adopted her from my apartment complex so I don't know old she is,all I know she's not running around jumping on things like a kitten or teenage cat.She plays with cat toys a bit but she's pretty mild.Her farts are pretty strong I have to open up the windows to clear the air.What do you think of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pets

• Maybe if you feed her canned food, it can smeel. Maybe change her diet or if you are worried take her to a vet.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 9:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My dogs have gas and it usually is like you can smell what they have eaten.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 9:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Have you changed her food recently? One of my cats used to have a gas problem when he was young, but I changed his food and it solved the gas problem. If you haven't changed her food, I would mention it to the vet the next time you take her. It's probably normal, but it never hurts to ask.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I've only had 3 cats in my life, and every one of them had terrible gas. Haha! I found it was more common when they ate wet food than when they just ate dry, but the wet food helps them stay hydrated so I just kind of dealt with the stink.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Sounds normal to me. They have a digestive system, just like humans. Humans get gas occasionally and there is no cause for concern.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• EVERYONE POOS AND FARTS, WHY SHOULD ANIMALS BE ANY DIFFERENT.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 9:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Cats are very sensitive. Have you changed brands of food or gone from wet to dry? Are you feeding/ or someone feeding her people food? Just to make sure, You may want to make a stop into the Vets. She may be sensitive to what your giving her or having a hard time digesting it. Always remember, if there is something happening to your pet out of the ordinary, its best to take your baby to the professionals. The object is to help them live a long and happy life! Hope this helps!
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 9:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have been around cats my entire life and farting is completely normal. Every one of the cats we've ever had have always had some kind of gas. I do agree with the others though that it's a lot worse when they eat wet cat food or people food. My cats always eat the same kind of food and I yelled at my cat the other day because she was sleeping on the back of the couch right behind my head and farted! It was the nastiest smell I've encountered in forever lol. I know not her fault, but I can't stand it when anyone or anything farts. She made me start gagging ugh, lol.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I've had about 20 cats throughout my life, and most of them had gas just like people. I think it's normal. They had it, no matter what kind of food they were eating.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We had a problem with our older cat having gas and diahrea until we switched her to a more expensive, quality cat food called Eukanuba. Try it out, you can get it at any pet store. GL!
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010