What do you clean your baby's toys with?

I usually just wash the hard toys with soap and water, or put the stuffed animals in a pillow case & wash them with a load of his clothes.

We're having our first "play date" this week (yes, my 9 month old has never been around another baby! sad, right?) Anyway, I know that the toys will inevitably get chewed on, and I want to be sure that everything is VERY clean both before and after. Suggestions? I've heard that the Clorox Anywhere spray is fine, but I'm just a little scared of putting "chemicals" on something that will go in baby's mouth.

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 11:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't use bleach in my house at all, and I definitely wouldn't use it on something that's going in a baby's mouth. White vinegar disinfects WONDERFULLY. You can mix a 50/50 vinegar/water solution in a spray bottle and clean them that way, (this is how I clean all the surfaces in my house...kitchen, bathroom, floors...everything) or put a few cups of vinegar in a sink full of water and soak them. A few drops of tea tree oil in water goes a long way as well.
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 1:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• half water half bleach, i soak them in that for a while and then i soak them in the sink full of water and then rinse them again just to make sure they are clean and get all of the bleach off
    maddoxsmommy605

Answer by maddoxsmommy605 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Or just stick them in the dishwasher. The heat from the water will kill the germs. Or if you don't have a dishwasher, put the small stuff in a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds.
    krockwell

Answer by krockwell at 11:43 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• clorox wipes and clorox anywhere spray!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i bought dish soap that has bleach in it so all i have to do is run them threw the dishwasher. ones that are to big for that soak them in half bleach/water and rinse very good. clorox wipes or spray works good also
    hotmama541

Answer by hotmama541 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• HOLY CRAP!  Half water/half bleach is WAY TOO MUCH BLEACH!  No more than a quarter cup of bleach for a sinkful of water is necessary!

Anonymous

• I have worked in Daycares for about 5 years now. The way the toys are cleaned there is soaked in bleach water then wipped down with a wet cloth and then soaked in HOT water. No kid at the daycare has ever gotten sick off of this or anything. They also clean all the dishes in bleach water and tables and shelves and stuff are all wipped down with bleach water. I agree with you, it doesn't sound right to do. But it works and it has never shown any harm to the kids.
    nfutter

Answer by nfutter at 1:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2008