Pacifer or Thumb sucking

My daugher was never given the paci and she started sucking her thumb at 3 months. She is now 4 years and it is a habit that I don't think she will quit anytime soon and it drives me crazy. My son is 6 months old had he doesn't suck his thumb. I started giving him the paci 2 weeks ago when I quit breastfeeding to help soothe he so he would go to sleep. It works great but I am getting some flack from my husband who doesn't want him to use it. I am afraid that he may suck his thumb and I really don't want that. The paci is working but I feel like I am taking the easy route. I was looking for other opinions about the thumb sucking/paci use and wondering if I am doing the right thing giving him the pacifier at 6 months.

bbchic

Asked by bbchic at 9:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IMO paci is better than thumb because of what your thumb can do to your teeth....i went to high school with a girl that was STILL sucking her thumb at night to go to sleep...and her teeth were BAD....also, you can TAKE AWAY the paci when you feel like its time...you cant take away a kids thumb tho
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You can take a pacifier away when the child gets older....the thumb will always be there. it like a nail biting habit....it's said its harder to stop biting your nails than its is to quit smoking....and I have quit smoking before and i cant stop chewing my nails been doing it since i was a kid. I try everything possible to not have my children suck there thumb it's so bad, then when you ready to get rid of the pacifier have the pacifier fairy come put them in a bag with a note and do like the toothfairy.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have been known to say: you can take away a binky, not a thumb. Let him use it if it helps. Offer it only as a last resort to comfort him, not everytime he fusses or whines and then start to take it away more often around the age of 1. That's what I did with my son and he never missed it. Hope that helps!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You can always take the paci away from a child...not their thumb....
    xtatianax

Answer by xtatianax at 7:29 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If you can be there to nurse for all of his sucking needs, then you dont really need the pacifier. I could not, so we opted for the pacifier when he started sucking his thumb, because we felt, as others have posted. We could take it away and thumb sucking seemed a much harder habit to break.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I agree with xtatianax
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010