my toddler's thumb nail is black/purple and swollen :(

I called the Dr and they said just make sure he can move it, which he can.

But I feel horrible.

I am giving him tylenol for the pain and swelling. Is there anything else I can do??

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 9:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son smashed his hand in a closet door when he was little and he lost his nail. However, they doc said that keeping the old on is good because it acts as a band-aid to a very sensitive area. What happened, is as the new nail grew, it pushed the old one out. I just kept a band-aid on it.
    I would be concerned as to why it looks like that if nothing happened though. What did the doctor say about that?
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• ice? what happened?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My daughter dropped a can of veggies on her big toe when she was little and the same thing happened, she also lost her toenail later that day. The only thing you can really do for it is put ice on it and give tylenol for pain. That's what my daughters dr told me to do. GL and hopefully it heals soon.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That is what is so frustrating! we have NO CLUE what happened!!
    If it was hurt that bad he had to have cried horribly. It hasnt happened while he was with me. The only sitters I have are my mom and my grandparents.... None of them would lie or hide it. So it is a mystery.....
    sassy_brizzy

Comment by sassy_brizzy (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I am afraid he will lose his nail, I am afraid if he does then he will pick at it or injure it more... :(
    sassy_brizzy

Comment by sassy_brizzy (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• if he loses it, maybe keep it covered so he can't mess with it? Poor guy
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Alternate ice and times without ice. Little guys can get their fingers and toes a bit too cold with cold compresses.
    Cover the nail bed with a bandage to keep the nail in place, and call the doctor if it looks like the nail will fall off.
    Did you check to see if he caught it on something while he was sleeping, or if there is an insect bite?
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 1:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• it only takes a cupboard door, pantry or door to smash a finger! there are numerous things to get into! don't feel bad, it happens to all of us!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 5:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• that happend to me as a kid the nail just grew off after awhile it didnt hurt anymore just a black nail
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Not much you can do but wait it out. My son got his finger closed in a door at daycare in the middle of August. It JUST fell off last week.

Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:14 AM on Oct. 16, 2010