Unannounced guests?

I am wondering how everyone else feels about unannounced guests? My SIL is currently very angry at me and my husband because we have mentioned to her that we would prefer it if she would call before coming over. She says that it is "weird" to call first and she should be able to come when she wants.

Luuckymommy

Asked by Luuckymommy at 10:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• if you want her to call, she should call. their are some people who i don't mind if they just show up, but most i want a call ahead of time.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 10:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• no, it's your house and you can have people call first. I insist on it!

funny story- we were in Canada looking for a friends house, we were having troubles. We pulled into a driveway to turn around and my sister started laughing like crazy!
    said she saw the woman sitting in the living room watching TV, and as soon as she saw our lights she jumped up and started straightening up the living room!
    wonder how she felt when we were just turning around!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I cannot STAND uninvited guests. I'm sorry, but I think that is one of the rudest things in the world...especially if they are expecting you to feed and/or house them for any period of time! Now, if it's just a close friend stopping by to chat for a bit, that's fine. But my SIL (whom I love to death) once showed up on our doorstep with a suitcase in hand and said "Surprise! I'm here for a month!"

Um....THAT was not the happiest surprise in the world. No matter how much I love my SIL, I was fuming for weeks.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i would prefer to be called 1st before someone just pops up!
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The rule is at my house, Call first or have a nice conversation on the front step.

I think it is extremely rude to not call first. Stick to your guns!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I just dont answer the door, if they didnt call first
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Your SIL needs to stop being inconsiderate. Her brother is married and right to stand by his wife. Afterall, its her brother's house, not her mother's house. Now, thats the only time that I could see a phone call being "weird".
    Momgul

Answer by Momgul at 10:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• my mom use to do the same thing i always ask could you please just call but she never did so next time she came i made sure she got eye full when me and my hubby had sex on living room floor lol my mom called after that maybe that is what you and your hubby need to do it would make her to call next time
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 10:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You MUST call if you come to my house. I won't answer the door. My dad did that once. He called me and said he was outside my door. LOL I was like "Well, I wasn't expecting anyone, which is why I didn't answer." I don't like SURPRISE visits.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It is SO Rude for someone to just Pop In! i don't go to the door if i'm not expecting anyone!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2010