Frustrated with dh

Okay, so right now we are really tight on money. Hubbys work cut all overtime and of course gas prices are really high. Not to mention the fact that a few months before they cut his overtime we had bought a new car and that made our insurance go up quite a bit too. Well we are getting by alright. Things are just tight..

Well this paycheck is the smallest dh has ever gotten, and so this morning he goes and gets gas and buys himself breakfast! This is not the first time he does this, he says we need to cut back and then he does this crap all the time... buys food without telling me, without asking me (who does the finances) hey do we have money for this?

Does anyone else have a husband that acts like this?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Money & Work

• Oh and ive just decided that im going to go buy him some microwavalbe breakfast sandwhiches for him to eat. I used to try and make him breakfast in the morning.. but apparently he doesnt have time for that...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• So many times some ppl think "what's buying this going to hurt?" Unfortunately they don't see the big picture like you do when you crunch the numbers. Maybe if you tell him how much he can spend on little things like that he can learn to stay within the budget you set down for him. It doesn't sound like he does it for meanness. It sounds like he assumes that small amount won't matter. There are also men who think that they worked for the money and they deserve something special. what about a chart? Men are visual ppl. Would it help to show him some sort of budget chart and why he can't be doing things like that?

Answer by admckenzie at 2:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Yes I do! I always get the lecture about watching our spending and I am the one who does the budget (very elaborate on an Excel sheet) I hate it! It makes me mad, like he views himself better than me. I drive a beat up old Taurus and he drives the new Mountaineer (and he drives for his job so Gas is an issue) he golfs, and goes out w/ the boys on Thursday nights. I get to do nothing. I don't even get to park my peice od shit car in the garage b/c his golf clubs are in there! UGH! Don't get me started! I am still wearing maternity clothes from 3 years ago, and he renews his wardrobe at will!
    Anonymous

• Thats what it is, he assumes it wont matter. Thanks for the responses. : )
    Cmyfantasyworld

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 9:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Give him the amount of money he can use in cash, and make sure he doesn't have CC or DC to use. If he spends all his money, then he has none to use later on. it is simple, and hope he will spend it wisely and eat and use what you have in the household for him.

yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 2:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2008