What was the point of the Ten Commandments?

The OT/Torah is full of laws and rules by which a Jewish person is go follow. And no sin is supposed to be greater than any other. So what is the point of giving the 10 Commandments? And why are there so many things not covered in them?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe the 10 commandments is the fundamental, eternal law of God and representation of His character. Following it is to have His character reproduced in us.

The other laws were either symbols of something to come (Christ's death) which were fulfilled at the cross and didn't need to be continued, or they were explanations of how the ten commandments should be kept (I.e. commandments outlining sexual sins).
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The First Commandment is about Loyalty. The Second Commandments is about Worship. The Third Commandment is about Reverence. The Fourth Commandment is about Sanctification and Relationship. The Fifth Commandment is about Respect for Parental authority. The Sixth Commandment is about Respect for Human life. The Seventh Commandment is about Purity in Relationships. The Eighth Commandment is about Honesty. The Ninth Commandment is about Truthfulness. The Tenth Commandment is about Contentment.
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 10:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• In the NT all of what 35yomom covered is covered in Love the Lord your God with all your heart mind and soul and Love your neighbor as yourself! Note: Both say LOVE in both commandments ... if you go to 1 Corinthians 13 It covers what that love looks like.
    OT Law was given to show how man cannot overcome sin by themselves this is why Jesus came.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Basically--and this is from reading the O.T.--the Jews were NOT the sharpest tacks in the drawer. Or maybe they WERE, since the commandments leave a whole LOT of room for interpretation. They are so vague that they can be bent and twisted just about any way you want them to go.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I will answer in terms of the Girl Scout Law (of which there are also 10) this should be interesting:

#1: Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    GS Promise: On my honor, I will try:To serve God and my country, To help people at all times, and to live by the Girl Scout Law.
    GS# 4 Be courageous and strong

#2: Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image...
    GS#2 Be friendly and helpful

#3: Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain
    GS#7 To respect authority

#4: Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy
    GS#9 To make the world a better place

#5: Honor thy father and thy mother
    GS#6 To respect myself and others

#6: Thou shalt not kill
    GS#3 Be considerate and caring

#7: Thou shalt not commit adultery
    GS#1 Be honest and fair

#8: Thou shalt not steal
    GS#8 To use resources wisely

#9: Thou shalt not bear false
    chrisnmandysmom

Answer by chrisnmandysmom at 11:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Good point and let us not forget that Moses defied god and broke the first ones. God apparently wrote the second ones and apparently had a body considering he told Moses no one was allowed to see him. It is very disturbing especially if god created these commands and then later Jesus came down and some claim that the Moses laws no longer applied?
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It's God's gift to us. I use to look at them as I can't do this or I have to do that or if I don't I'm goint to Hell! I was way off base! What He was saying was, "I want to have a relationship with you. I want to love you. Those false gods are dead. You'll not find love from them the way I love you." When He said about not stealing or lying or taking our neighbors stuff. It was to warn us that if we do we're going to be in a whole lot of trouble with those people. He doesn't want to see others hurt us. When he asked us to honor or parents it was because at that time we were in their custody to be trained up and prepared for the world that awaited us. When He said to keep the Sabbath day holy, it was because he knew our bodies weren't meant to go 24/7. We need rest not stress to be healthy. He only wanted the best for us because of His great love for us. But as usual, we get defensive when someone tells us what to do! LOL
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 4:51 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm not sure why they have been reduced to being called the 10 commandments. If I read the Old Testement, I don't see a clean breakdown of 10....However, to answer the question, I believe they are commandments that make it possible to live together as a community....there is much that isn't covered, yes, but they are general and broad enough to cover quite a bit...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:43 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• The source is important-Almighty and written by his own finger. They are perfect laws and still are useful to the present. They are a covenant. The people (Hebrew? Jews? Need coffee) were being pretty disrespectful to a God that just freed them from slavery. Jesus refers to the Ten Commandments in the NT.

2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It is very disturbing especially if god created these commands and then later Jesus came down and some claim that the Moses laws no longer applied?

Woah there. So incorrect! Jesus supported the commandments at Matt 22:34-39
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2010