bottle feeding

I bottle feed my son, i choose not to breast feed, and I was looked down upon. Why are some people so rude about women who choose not to breast feed. It is a personal decision and i understand the benefits from breast feeding, but i felt like bottle feeding was easier on my when I was a working mother, but people still where very rude about my decision.

What is your take on this, be honest, and please no bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i bottle fed both my kids i didnt want to breastfeed cause i heard alot of ppl tell me that your nipples hurt alot sorry i had enough pain didnt want anymore i didnt have anyone look down on me really and when they did i didnt care my kids were healthy
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I think there is nothing wrong with any mother who chooses to bottle feed. I have 3 children, breastfed my 1st for 3 months and had to stop when I went back to work, my 2nd for 2 months and my last for maybe 2 weeks. People who look down on you are no better than anyone else and really it's none of their damn business.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I don't understand this either. You're right--- it IS a personal choice. I breastfed my son for 5 months, but then he had a huge weight gain problem & I had to switch him to a high-calorie formula & start him on solids. He's now strictly formula fed, and he is happy & healthy! I do think, however, that the breastfeeding gave him a huge immune system boost-- he just had his first ear infection (9 months old) and it only lasted a couple of days! I've seen both sides of it-- breastfeeding and formula, and I see nothing wrong with either way. I actually caught a lot of slack from my parents for choosing to breastfeed. People are going to be judgmental no matter what the subject. You just have to learn to ignore it.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I wanted to breast feed but it didn't work out for me. I didn't have enough milk and then it just went away. I tried everything the lactation nurse told me to but nothing. I actually find bottlefeeding better for nowadays. DOn't let anyone make you feel like you're not a good mom because you don't bf. It's your choice and whatever works for you as long as your baby is healthy. I figure people are more concerned with losing the weight after pregnancy and not eating enough for the baby to get good breast milk. Formula is almost as good as bf'ing. My baby is 6 weeks old and weighs 10.5lbs so I know he is healthy. This way my husband also helps me and it's not just me up all night with the baby. I can leave the baby with him if I need to run out without worrying about him getting hungry or having enough milk supply pumped. I got so much grief for not trying "hard enough" but I don't care. It's your baby and you do what you want.
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Whatever you choose - it's YOUR decision. Dont listen to what other people say. Not every woman can breastfeed. Don't feel bad about your decision. Formula is just as good. Of course breast milk is best but that don't mean your child will be less healthy. I had a C-section and tried to breastfeed. It didn't work out and I beat myself up about it. My dd is 5 1/2 months old and as healthy as can be. Never had a cold as is growing normal!
    naomnicole

Answer by naomnicole at 12:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• while i firmly believe breast is best, it's your decision. no one else is in your position or family. i can not imagine how hard it must be to go back to work and pump, breastfeed. kudos to those who do it. i will support a woman to the ends of the earth in trying to establish breastfeeding, but will never bash someone who chooses bottle. it used to be the other way around, though! women who breastfed were looked down upon as "country" and "poor", "low class"! be happy in your decision.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have never understood why moms are so hard on one another about this issue and others such as circumcision, ect. These are not life or death issues. If your child is thriving and doing well, then so be it. I think breast milk has some really great immune system building qualities that formula doesn't have but I had breast surgery in 02. I was not able to lactate properly when my last baby was born in 06. He had to take formula. We as moms should be on the same team, but we spend most of our time fighting out dumb issues with other moms. These are just a few of the hot issues here. I am so curious as to who cares if my son is circumcized or not....when he is a student at GA Tech, are we gonna say its because he was a formula fed, circumcized child? No, were not. That would be silly.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• It isn't a personal decision and it shouldn't be yours. It should be your child's..which would much prefer breast over bottle.

Breast feeding is not a choice it is an obligation to the choice and you should give your child the freedom of choice.

Although that is my opinion of it, I have friends who bottle feed (and their child has eczema)...and I make no comment or judgement. If they ever asked my opinion I would be honest about it...but I would never openly say how I felt. I dont actually feel anything negative towards them - its not my child...so I am sorry you are getting bashed.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I completly understand how you feel. I breast fed my son for 3 months and I tried breastfeeding my daughter but is just wasn't working out. Everytime I told the doctor (or someone in that line of work) that I switched to bottle I felt guilty saying it. Because that is how they make you feel. And the Lactade lady, i know she was trying to help but.... Wow, how far can you push someone. So my answer to you is hang in there and ignore everyone eles. Remember, you are THE MOM and mom's know best right?
    nfutter

Answer by nfutter at 1:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I tried to breastfeed and was in soooo much pain. Felt it was healthier for my baby to get formula than to have a mom that was afraid to hold/feed her b/c her boobs hurt so much! I don't think it matters since it's *your* choise, ya know. Just ignore the others out there. Do what's best *overall* for your child.
    Anonymous