If you found out you had cancer...

If you found out you had cancer and you had no money, no job and no kids to worry about or much family...would you bother getting any treatment? Or would you just wait for your time to die?

I don't have cancer, but it does tend to run in my family. At this point in my life, I'm not sure I'd care what happened to me.

TigerSong

Asked by TigerSong at 10:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Health

• I'm sorry you feel that way and you never know what life offers down the road. You could be in a down period in your life with something just around the corner. To your question: It would depend on how bad the cancer was. If it was only giving me a few months, I'd skip treatment.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You're on CafeMOM...don't you have a kid?

I would definitely seek treatment.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would still get the treatment. I had to watch my step mom who i was so close to die from cancer and she was in so much pain. I would do everything that i could to save my life. And even if i didnt have any family at the time it dosnt mean that i wouldnt find a great guy and have kids.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would get treatment, it is very painful, so I would at least get the pain prescriptions.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• get treatment, there is new break through everyday, maybe one day all cancer treatment will work
    suzy470

Answer by suzy470 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would get treatment and fight for my life.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• ok to answer back, yes, I have kids...but they are no longer speaking to me. How do you get any treatment when you have no job or money....I don't qualify for medicaid. And I doubt very much at my age (48) that I'm going to meet anyone.

I hate my life...why would I want to fight for something that doesn't mean anything? Sorry if this sounds really depressing, I haven't been sleeping much lately. My back and shoulders hurt so bad I can barely think straight, my pain meds (motrin) aren't really helping anymore.
    TigerSong

Comment by TigerSong (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would pray, I would ask people to pray for me, and I will pray for you!
    nancyc1010

Answer by nancyc1010 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm sorry if anyone thought that I did have cancer, I don't, or at least I don't think I do. I haven't seen a doctor for about 4-1/2 yrs, and yes that includes no paps or mamos either.

I have to be honest though, if I did find out that I had cancer, I'm not sure I'd want to seek treatment. Actually I'm not even sure I'd tell anybody, what would be the point in telling anyone if I wasn't going to be treated? And exactly how do get any treatment when you have no money?
    TigerSong

Comment by TigerSong (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010