Is there anyone out there who set limits on Christmas gifts , like myself or do you just buy what's on your child's list ?

I do this because I buy my children gifts for numerous occasions throughout the year. They even get an "end of the school year" gift!

Momgul

Asked by Momgul at 11:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• my son will usually tell me all kinds of things he wants (usually everything..he is 5)..so i don't have a hard time shopping for him yet. I don't really set a budget at christmas time. I start early and buy things here and there until i feel like i have plenty. I told myself i'm not buying any toys this year though because he already has every frickin toy under the sun. We are considering having a fun week for christmas. Giving him gift certificates to places like movies and museums, bowling etc... and doing fun family stuff instead of wasting it all on junk toys
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'd be in the poor house if they got exactly what they wanted. So yep.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I usually go by the lists and tell them to put down one big thing and other small stuff on it.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• our limit for our boys are 100 dls each there still to lil to know anydifference there just happy to tear up boxes at xmas lol my 2 yr old cares more for the wrapping then the actual gift n the 4 yr old just wants cars so thats not to bad
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• well, we try to fill all 4 kids wish list, but the amount cannot exceed 275.00 per child! I will have baby 5 in Jan and she will get the same amount! The answer to filling that list is buying in advance! Like in Jan.! use the whole year to buy a few things here and there
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm still in the clear, my child isn't old enough to have a list! I think when he is old enough, I'll get him what he wants as long as he deserves it, it's reasonable, and within my budget.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I tend to buy my daughter a new toy every other week (I have very little self-control when it comes to things like that). However, if I'd buy her everything on her Christmas list, she'd literally have one of everything, so that's not going to happen. I limit to 10-12 under-the-tree gifts at Christmas.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My kids aren't old enough to have a list yet either, But i'd imagine that when they are I would try and get one big ticket item and then other fun little stuff. Even if i'm able to afford it I want to instill in them at a young age that you don't always get everything you ask for. Our family tries to put the spirit of christmas before the gift giving.
    sandrizzle

Answer by sandrizzle at 11:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I limit how much I spend and I only have 1 child. He pretty much gets everything he wants because he doesn't ask for much.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010