Question about the contents of the Bible.

I use a standard Bible. But I've learned that many "religions" take books out or have books in their Bible that aren't in mine. Does that make theirs wrong? If there are more books...then why aren't they in every Bible? Where did these extra books come from?

Just a little confused...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• And Orthodox Christians have even more books then Catholic-Christians. It has to do with the different cannons, etc. Also it's good to note that what many non-Catholics (mainly protestant faiths) call the apocrypha Catholics call the Deuterocanonical. The first link is to a table of the different canons side by side: (it makes seeing the difference easier): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_the_Bible

Wikipedia also has an history of the bibical canons that might be helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_canon That does explain when certian canons became closed...... Hope that this helpful....

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• well maybe ur bible is just the new testament and the other person has both the new and old testament in their bible... check the front and see what it says.... if ur bible is just the new testament the first book in there should be matthew then mark luke john and so on... if u have both the new and old testament the first book should be genesis... hope this answeres ur question
    jenny2150

Answer by jenny2150 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Yes, my Bible is both old and new testaments. It's a standard NIV.
    Anonymous

• There's another group of books known as the Apocrapha (sp?) that are in Catholic bibles. Catholics believe that they are inspired books and Protestants don't. I don't think it makes their Bible "wrong" (just like I don't think the Mormans' addition of the Book of Morman makes their Bible "wrong"). I think it's just a different intrepretation of what books were inspired by God.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 12:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I don;t know about adding or taking away certain books of the Bible, but I did recently take a class and they used the King James Version for that particular teaching. They gave the reason that other versions had changed certain words and when translated into Greek and Hebrew text, it totally changed the meaning. They gave certain examples. As far as just the protestant christian faith goes, I think you should read what makes it understandable for you. I have an NIV, a KJV, and NKJV and a NLT. I like them all. Do what works for you right now and as you grow spiritually, you might decide to switch.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• The Bible has been edited many times by many different people. With the changes in culture the Bible has been changed to accommodate the people. I think the King James version took out many of the stories that included magic or spells.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• jcsscfam5: Can you provide any links for this?
    Anonymous

• jcsscfam5: I agree, can you provide a source for this? I'd be interested in learning more.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• The books included in the New Testament in all Christian bibles are the same. It's the number of books included in the Old Testament that is different. The canon of the bible (aka the list of books to be included in the bible) took several hundred years to figure out. Even at the time of Jesus there wasn't a set of scriptures that were used by all Jews. Different Jewish sects used different books as Scripture. Then there were a lot of texts written about Jesus and his teachings. Early Christian groups also used different sets of scripture. So there were a lot of meetings of church leaders and discussions over literally hundreds of years. Here's a Timeline of How the Bible Came To Us.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Bibles have changed,the old testament is left out where there is only the new one.Some religions have dfferent bibles but it all says the same,the one with more books is a good one.Some people say the old testament don't apply anymore but I can't see leaving all that out.ALL SCRIPTURES ARE INSPIRED BY GOD.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2008