Taking picture of dead people?

So my grandmother passed away like a year ago and i never went to her furneral because i am all the way in Alabama and family is in michigan. and they wouldnt pay for my bus ticket unless i agreed to leave my babys dad right then and there. So last night my dad sent me an email, and i figure he was just writing to bother me again, well i opened it up and there it is pictures of my grandmother in there casket. I think he should of asked me if i wanted to see before he just basically forced me to. What do you think about taking pictures of people like that?

mybabychunk

Asked by mybabychunk at 11:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• He should of asked you first if you wanted to see the picture. I personally don't see anything wrong with taking a picture.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Why would they want you to leave the babies dad? In some families taking pictures of the dead is very common.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Theres nothing wrong with taking pictures of lost loved ones, but, out of respect for you, he should have told you what the picture was. I personally don't like to look at pictures of dead people. Its not like they are going to come after me,but its just me.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• If I'm correct, it used to be a very normal, very popular practice. Some people (not all) believed that people's spirits lived on in pictures, so someone would take a final picture of them after they had died and it would "capture" their spirit in the photo.

I personally think it's a little creepy, and he should have asked you about it first. But to each his own, some people might want a picture like that.

My grandma has a picture of my great grandma in her casket. I never met that great grandma, so the picture isn't that disturbing to me. My dad, on the other hand, was very close to her. He absolutely can't bring himself to look at the picture, he says it brings back bad memories and he tells me to put it away any time I find it in the picture book.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You don't have to answer the question about the reason the family wanted you to leave your SO. I didn't mean to pry. But it like the other poster said, he could have asked you if you wanted to see it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• he should have asked u first before he just basically threw them at you because he didnt know if u were comfortable with that. i think its a little creepy to take pics of that i dnt think i would but it just depends on if ur comfortable looking at that. its not wrong for hm to take the pic but he shouldnt have just showed it to u like that without any warning
    Anonymous

• It did used to be a very normal practice but it bothers me. I have come to believe that it might be just me that feels this way, but I cannot stand to look at dead people. I was traumatized at a funeral as a very small child and dead people, coffins, funerals, and all things related really creeps me out. One mom posted pics of her dead baby here once and I know she was sad and I felt so bad for her, but the pictures disturbed me. I did not want to see a pic of a dead baby and it didn't seem to bother her to post it publicly. Maybe why I hate halloween too? IDK, but I want to be warned. I think its creepy. Just me though.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Perhaps my case was a little different, but I lost my mother to a car accident as a child. I was also injured and hospitalized and therefore could not attend the funeral. Knowing I would have questions later on, some people took pics of my mother in her casket, but they were thought lost for several years until my father and sister were going through a picture box about twenty years later. It was hard for me to see her like that, but it answered questions about what she looked like at the end. Her death is still hard for me 31 years later, but I'm glad those people took those pictures. They were thinking of me when they did it.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Ooohhh...I hate when people do that! I don't want to view dead photos and I personally believe it is damaging to the soul. I am okay with the police taking photos in order for crime scene evidence...a "necessary evil" if you will. But otherwise, I think it is wrong and I hate that others assume we want to see them. I went into a journal post on Cafe Mom to give support to a woman that had just lost a baby...she posted the pics of the baby after it died. I wouldn't even leave a message. Then at a friend's house this one time a woman asked if I wanted to see photos of her child, I said "sure" like the sucker I am. They were photos of her child in the casket. Made me want to vomit. I think people should definitely warn others before doing this.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 4:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Its possible he had second thoughts about how he treated you when the event occured, and the pictures are his way of makeing up for it. My dad's not that great about anticipating his daughter's (me) emotional needs.... this is the way it is with many men and women, obviously. Have you asked him why he sent the pictures?
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2008