My son is almost 5 months old ad sleeps thought the night but has a hard time going to sleep during the day and i let him cry but i feel helpless when he does cry what should i do to not feel that way?

joshuasmommy609

Asked by joshuasmommy609 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes you have to go with your heart,,,
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 12:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My daughter will be 5 months old soon too and also sleeps through the night. During the day she hardly sleeps and becomes so cranky because of it. To top it off, she's teething. I literally walk around with her all day. I do let her cry if I need to get something done but as soon as I am free i pick her up. I've tried that cry it out method but it's just too sad, for both of us. (I know.. SPOILED)
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My dd does the same thing. she sleeps 7-9 hours at night. Then does not want to sleep during the day. do you have a swing? it seems to work with her. Sometimes she goes to sleep during the day with no problem. From what I read you shouldn't let the baby cry for long. Each time lay him down, time it. let him learn to sleep on his own. let a minute go by then pick him up. next time let 2 minutes go by then pick him up again, etc. Try a swing or a walk outside sometimes helps.
    naomnicole

Answer by naomnicole at 12:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Sounds like he might be bored. Does he have toys to play with? Or a baby gym to put on the floor to play with. When he gets cranky and starts looking tired during the day put him in bed and let him cry for 5 minutes check on him and then 10 minutes and go check on him. He is tired he just doesn't want to fall asleep.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i've let him cry for a lil bite just not long.i walk around with my son too and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesnt help at all.hes got a soothing glider but he doesnt like it most times.My son is spoiled too. with the weather were i live its crazy so i'm not walking outside.My heart tells me to pick him up but then again it tells me to just let him cry.is it normal to just cry when theres nothing for u to do?
    joshuasmommy609

Answer by joshuasmommy609 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• he tired cuz when hes tired he sucks on his thumb and thats when i out him to bed.hes got toys but he doesnt want em most times.he is tired and he wont go but then again is i hold him t my chest he hes fine and he goes to sleep with no problems.
    joshuasmommy609

Answer by joshuasmommy609 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Babies aren't fruit, ladies...they don't spoil;) Follow your heart, mama. If your maternal instincts are telling you to hold your baby, then hold him. Don't let anyone tell you he's gonna be spoiled. Babies aren't capable of purposely manipulating you, he's just expressing that he needs to be close to you. Have you tried using a sling? I highly recommend a Moby wrap (or one like it...there are many brands, you can find one at babies R us) since he likes to lay on your chest. These are super comfy and make of a strechy jersey cotton, so it's like wearing a t-shirt, and they distribute weight evenly and don't hurt your back. Let him sleep in this, if that's what it takes to get him to nap well in the daytime...and your hands will be free so you can get things done around the house. Don't worry, it won't be long before he's upwardly mobile and independent....and then you'll miss getting to hold him all the time!
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 1:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2008