My mother

My mother and step-dad (both police officers) watched my 2 year old Saturday while DH and I went out. When we went to pick her up Sunday, we found them all in bedroom. The entire room was filled with smoke.. It was unbearable. My DD was on her 2nd bag on Skittles.. It was 9 AM! My mother then told me she brought my daughter to WalMart and bought her a toy.. I didn't mind until I realized the carseat I left was in the SAME place I left it! I confronted her about it and she lied, then finally confessed and said she just HELD her in her lap! I was in shock! I started yelling at her, and she started crying and saying, "Please dont yell at your mommy!" I lost my 3 month old 8 weeks ago, and really don't feel like something happen to my one and only! I've tried to lay down rules for and shes NEVER followed them! What would you do? Just ban her from watching her? My step-father has 9 kids! He should KNOW better than this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Relationships

• Your mother believes she is above the law and cannot be trusted. Don't leave your child alone with her again! No car seat, smoking, candy - three strikes you are out -although the car seat one was enough for me. So sorry about your loss, I know this is a time you need to streghten your family and a little alone time with DH would be nice. I hope you can find a more responsible adult you can depend on.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• First let me say I am so sorry for your loss. Now with them both being police officers and finding out the things you said and seen, there is no way in hell I would ever leave my child with them again.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• If I were you I wouldn't have them watch your baby ever again. It doesn't matter if it's your mom, if she's not being responsible you don't want to take any chances.
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I WOULDNT LET THEM WATCH HER. OF COURSE SHE IS STILL YOUR MOTHER. BUT YOUR BEST INTEREST SHOULD BE YOUR CHILD. I WOULD ONLY ALLOW SUPERVISED VISITS. BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY WHEN THEY ARE LEFT ALONE YOUR CHILD IS NOT SAFE.
    Anonymous

• Add on. Police officers or not, what has happened is wrong.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My mother takes care of my daughter she is 4 years old, while I work.. My mother hardly respects what I ask of her as far as my daughter.
    What your mother did is not exceptable...
    I would not allow her to watch your daughter again..She is putting your child in unsafe positions.
    I know it sucks...grand parents feel they can do what ever they want..but if I was you I would not allow her to watch your daughter again.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Thank you.. My mom never ever buys her anything but candy. Even though I have told her I will throw it all away and waste her money. She just gets upset and says "That's what grandmas do, and your not letting her see how much I love her!" Talk about Disrespect!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't ever leave my child alone with them. Visit, but don't use them as babysitters anymore. I would think if you left your child in their care knowing what they have done in the past it could get you in trouble if something happened to your child. I don't know, but it seems like that could happen. Good luck working through this.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i would never let them watch her again, your daughter is irreplacable
    wonderpetsmom

Answer by wonderpetsmom at 12:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You did the right thing they should know better there poice thay would give anyone a ticket for that lol and im soooooo sorry for your loss
    Anonymous