How do you stay calm when you have a screaming baby and you know what the reason is, so you are trying to take care of it? For example, how do you stay calm if your baby is screaming while you are warming up a bottle of breast milk or preparing a bottle of formula and can't hold the baby at the same time?

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 12:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Remind yourself that you are mom. And mom is the only thing in the whole world that baby has. Mom is special. Mom just does it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:13 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My 1yo STILL does this and it drives me crazy. She doesn't ask for something until she wants it right that second, so even in the time it takes me to pour a glass of milk she's practically having a panic attack. I talk to her - even when she was a baby, I did it. I just talk, saying calmly, "I'm getting the milk, and you're being very silly by screaming so much. Has Mommy ever failed you before? Silly girl, it's coming in a minute, you just need to learn to be patient." I just focus on the calm words coming out of my mouth and try to tune out the screams.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:13 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I lay my daughter on my bed with her paci and change her diaper while the bottle warms. It distracts her because by the time the diaper change is done so is her bottle. You get two tasks accomplished at once.
    Annyrose124

Answer by Annyrose124 at 12:14 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• This is one of those things that gets better with time. Just try and stay calm and remember that crying while you warm that bottle, is not going to harm your child. While it can be frustrating, you are getting what your child needs and that's the most important thing. They also have slings and wraps you can purchase if you just don't feel comfortable setting your baby down while you do something really quick. That might keep her content for those few minutes while you get her food ready. Good luck!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You will learn to tune out. Its not all bad to let baby cry a little. Just a little. :). Clear out those pipes. :) mom of 4 -3 of them mime from birth and it gets easier to do things with one hand or juggle and step over the dog who's waiting for you to drop what you are handeling! Lol.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I just talk to him and tell him what im doing and that he has to wait a minute. Dont let the crying bother you if you are doing all you can. It gets easier with time.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Learn to tune it out. I have three kids that are little and love to scream. I get through most of it by tuning it out.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• MP3 player with awesome music on it. Put baby in a safe place, put in your earbuds, turn up the music, block out baby's screams while do what you need to do, and rock out.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• LOL, get used to it. There will be countless times in his/her life that they are unhappy with what you are doing, even if it's for their own good. Letting the baby cry is certainly a better option than say, scalding him. You know you are addressing the babies needs. Breathe deeply.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It does get better with time I just remember that she is not going to starve to death in 2 minutes.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 13, 2010