Is it possible to be having twins and the doctor's never know until you deliver?

Like is it posible for one baby to be laying directly behind the other? I think im having twins but everytime they say they only see one baby. But the heartbeat sounds like it is doubled. Plus, Im 37 weeks and I have gained 40 pounds with this pregnancybut with my first, I only gained 19 pounds.

lovebunny82709

Asked by lovebunny82709 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• not likely...GL on your delivery
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:19 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It happened to my cousin. One was behind the other, and SURPRISE at delivery! Twins!! We all saw the ultrasound pics. Sure just looked like one. Two healthy 6 pound something babies. Good luck to you!!
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 12:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Very unlikely, but yes, it can happen. They would have likely heard two heart beats if there were two, but again, it can happen.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• from what i hear you always gain more with the second baby, and it is possible but highly uncommon, but i say your body knows whats going on better than the doctor...so you could be
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 3:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• With today's technology I would guess that it is not possible.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 3:42 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have to agree that with technology today and level of clarity that can obtained with 4-D ultrasounds I would think that it would be highly unlikely, with that being said, anything is possible. Good luck to you. Congrats on your new baby or babies!
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 13, 2010