Do you know infromation on kids ezcema?

Eveysmom08

Asked by Eveysmom08 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• The only info I have is this: my daughter had a mild case of eczema when she was born and I was told to rub hydro-cortisone cream on the affected areas after her bath. It clears right up within 24 hours with occasional outbreaks.
    secondrose

Answer by secondrose at 1:14 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes. My kids all have eczema to some degree. My DD gets it so bad that she can't use soaps in her bath. If she does, it HAS to be something 100% all natural, like California Baby. She can use the Aveeno for babies, but we prefer the California Baby cos the Aveeno still have some chemicals in it. There are lotions the dr can prescribe that can help, but mostly just keeping their skin moist with a good UNSCENTED moisturizer, keeping them away from perfumed laundry detergents and soaps, that should help.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• eczema is an allergic reaction to something in the child's environment. do NOT NOT NOT use hydrocortisone cream on a child younger than a year, and even then only once of twice a month. those creams cause thinning of the skin and actually make the skin less resistant to the allergen.

wash the skin and hair gently, soap or not, with your hands to remove all pet dander, pollen, dust, etc.. every day! use a protective cream like aquaphor or moisturelle or keri immediately after bathing. you want to use something that leaves a protective film on the skin to block out the allergen (assuming its outside of the body and not a food reaction.)

if clearing the child's environment of harsh chemicals and soaps doesn't help, try going on an elimination diet with supervision from your pediatrician. if your child is older than one year they can do an allergy panel to help you determine what's causing the kid to have this reaction!
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 2:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• we use calendula cream as a barrier on my daughter. calendula cream works pretty well, is all natural and smells really nice too! be sure to put it on before the child is dried off after the bath.
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 2:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My oldest daughter is now almost 4 and my baby is 9 months and they both had it very bad. Our pediatricians told us to use the lowest dose possible of Hydrcortizone OINTMENT b/c lotions makes their skin burn. I put a iny bit on their skin after their bath and it cleared it right up. It's probaly not somehting that you want to have to use ALL the time, but it's okay to use it when they have ezcema. Also, be sure to use Cetaphil when you bathe your baby because it's less likely to dry their skin out.
    Patesmom

Answer by Patesmom at 9:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• my dd has a mild case too
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:34 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My son has it. We've only used hydrocortisone creams a couple times. They do thin the skin as said above, so it's good to avoid them unless it's a big flare up. We had a prescription once for a particularly bad, stubborn flare up. I have tried Aquaphor--and some people swear by it, but I find Gentle Naturals Eczema Cream works best to keep it under control. It's just a non-medicated, very thick cream, and I think we have bought it places like Targets and some grocery stores. Some stores don't have it though. Non-drying soaps/washes (like Aveeno or Dove) and keeping the skin moisturized after baths help a lot, but sometimes it still flares up anyway.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=153406&catid=59884&aid=338666&aparam=153406

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My daughter had severe eczema on her hands - we tried Hydrocortizone ointment, numerous prescriptions and every natural remedy available - some would help for a while but the eczema would always return - a friend recommended Renew Lotion - within 2 weeks of using it, her skin had cleared up and she has not had an outbreak in over 4 years! I highly recommend trying it - it even comes with a 60 day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the results!
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2010