Do you expect your kid's friends to follow your rules when they are in your house?

Our neighbors son yelled "fag" in my back yard, and I told him about it..."we don't use that language here."

He apologized, and all is well, but my old neighbors got REALLY mad at me for the same thing.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:14 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• HELL YEAH...if not it's bye bye i don't take back talks or disrespect from my kids so i don't take it from no kids...my home im the law...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Absolutely, and I expect my kids to follow their friends parents rules at their homes!!

My rule is....whoever has the stricter rules, those are the rules you follow.......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes, I do because I don't have unreasonable rules. Like my kids are not allowed to drink energy drinks. Their friends are allowed to do so. However, they are not allowed to do so in MY home because that's the last thing I need is more hyper kids lol. When my kids have friends over (the older ones at least) they don't have a whole lot of rules. Basically they have to tell us where they are going if they leave the house, there is no energy drinks at my house, you have to eat what you are served or you have the option of a PB&J I don't run a restaurant, and you will be respectful to others in the house. That is my main rules. When my kids go to other peoples houses, I do expect them to behave according to their friend's parents rules UNLESS it breaks a rule of mine :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yes, and I don't giva shit if the parents or the man in the moon doesn't like it! If they don't like it, then LEAVE! My kids are really good about actually "policing" their friends. I have often overheard them telling their friends to "knock it off or I will tell you leave. This makes me so proud that my kids respect themselves enough to not use bad language or allow it to be used in our home!.

There is also respect towards ourselves....something kids today are really lacking in our youth today: respect for themselves and respect for others. Not my kids! Our family is #1 priority! I am very proud of them!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Of course! It's my house, and if they don't like the rules, they can find somewhere else to hang out. It's the same with my little siblings-in-law...they may behave a certain way at their house, but in my house it's my rules. Period.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Kids learn early3-5 that you have to behave differently in different places. You have every right to expect certain things in your house. If they don't like it they can leave and if one of the kids' friends do you want them hanging out with anyways? A little respect never hurt anyone!
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 2:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My opinion, my house, my rules. If they want to use language that in my opinion is unsuitable, they can leave and not come back or abide by my rules
    akamomof275847

Answer by akamomof275847 at 2:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes and no. I can understand why you did what you did just for simple educating that child to know better from now on. However there are some rules that are stupid. Like I had a friend who's parents had rules about sodas and food like no eating after 4pm and no ones allowed to touch there moms pepsi. I was like okay but I would have my own sodas and food with me. My mom agreed and thought it was stupid and would pack me food that I could keep in my bag.

My rules are more like don't climb on things, don't hit, don't yell, don't touch sharp things. I'm not a stickler on politeness only cause it's usually toddlers in my home.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 2:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Depends on the rule..... I won't allow language like that in my house from anyone. No fag, pussy, wimp, etc. Nothing derogatory based on gender, sexuality, race etc.

She brushes her teeth after she eats, and doesn't wear shoes or socks indoors. I don't expect her friends to do the same, as long as their shoes are clean. I would be upset if her friends expected her to do things that we don't, such as pray before meals.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• absolutely,tho' mine is really small to 've any friends but i wud like them to abide by the rules of the house when he has any
    A11

Answer by A11 at 6:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2010