When did Walmart stop letting people return things for store credit when they don't have a reciept?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:44 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Shopping

• Yeah, sounds like you just caught her on a bad day. Try again tomorrow and ask to see the manager about it if they give you problems. Two years ago Wal-mart refused to cash my tax return check because it kept "coding weird." She went so far as to say I'd STOLEN the check from another person, even though my I.D. and my face and the check all matched lol. I went to another Wal-mart down the road and they cashed it, called the first store and discovered the girl was trying to cash it as a paycheck. You don't have to be perfect to have a minimum wage job.
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 2:42 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I didn't know they stopped? Ours still does...but there is a limit per person; you can only do it 3 times per year without a receipt here.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• as far as i know you can return items at walmart without a receipt. That's what i like about walmart. you should have pointed out to the lady that the receipt states that items can be returned w/out a receipt for store credit. i would've been so upset!
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 3:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It was probably to much work for the clerk. I would call in the Am & complain about her attuide either way!!
    ahsweetness

Answer by ahsweetness at 4:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I only knew that you could only return three things a year and they do it with your ID so that they will know...
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 2:04 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm going to call in the morning and ask day shift people about it. I was trying to return a pair of pants that fit weird, and my cats destroyed my receipt, so I asked about getting a gift card (even though Walmart.com says for things under $25, you can get cash back), and the woman (VERY rudely) said, "NO we can't do THAT." She talked to me like I was a total bitchy idiot, even though I stood there waiting patiently for her for almost 10 minutes, then politely asked if I could return the pants. She told me I had to get the same thing, no refund or store credit/gift card. If they tell me tomorrow that I CAN do that, I'm going to make a serious complaint, not only about what I was told tonight, but also about the woman's attitude towards me.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 2:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Around the same time every other store in America did. Companies were losing ENTIRELY too much money accepting purchases back without receipts because there is no way to prove that you purchased the item from them. It is Wal-Mart policy to issue a gift card for ANY purchases without a receipt. Sorry.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:31 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I thought most stores stopped this...
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It's a brand only sold by Walmart, though. How the heck do you go to KMart or Target or somewhere and buy something from them that's a WALMART item? And why does their website say that they DO accept them without a receipt? Why does the receipt say that? I didn't even ask for a refund, I asked for a gift card for that store. I had to return something shoes for my daughter a few months ago (like July, I think?) and I didn't have a receipt because my mom had bought them for her. They just gave me a gift card and asked for my ID. That's been my experience every time I've returned something (which happens once or twice a year because of clothing gifts that don't fit). All my friends were like, "WTF?" because they've returned things recently (one of my friends returned something last week) without a receipt, no problem.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 2:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Few stores do it anymore, but most do around here. Almost every store around here will let you bring something in either for an exchange or store credit. What I don't get is that their website even advertises how most of their competitors don't allow it, but they do. The receipts still say it, too.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 2:37 AM on Oct. 13, 2010