is ok to breastfeed and formula feed your newborn?

i give my new born breast milk and i also give him liquid formula,he seems fine with both.he bowels seem normal,but im not sure if it is ok.

mexicanmommy619

Asked by mexicanmommy619 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, of course!
    B/c I had/have PCOS, my milk never really came in. Son was 5 weeks early, and never latched.

I pumped for 2 months, and combined what little did get with formula to stretch it out. My son
    is healthy and happy, and is in the 75% for height and weight for his age.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 2:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yes of course there going to tell you breastmilk is the best for you child but if you are not producing enough the pediatrician usually says soy formula but if your child is doing okay with the regular formula then keep on trucking mama! Your doing fine i had to do the same thing when my milk supply wasn't at it's peak!
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 2:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Well, it depends on your definition of "okay", the reasoning and your personal goals. If you are trying to breastfeed and would like to have a successful breastfeeding relationship... Then, no, it's really not okay unless there is a true diagnosed supply problem. First, if you are giving the formula with a bottle, it can cause nipple confusion. Secondly, every single oz of formula you give is one less oz your body thinks it needs to produce. It's a very, very slippery slope and most who start out supplementing do not make it beyond 6 weeks (some do, but most don't).

If you don't really care one way or the other... then, no it doesn't really matter apart from the well documented risks of formula feeding (which is something you should look into before making a decision on this). If you're okay with the risks, and don't want to establish a good breastfeeding relationship... then, yea, it's totally fine.

CON't...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:06 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If you're supplementing for supply issues, you first need to evaluate if you really have a supply issue. Many who think they do, don't and it's simply an issue of expectations and perception.

If you're exclusively pumping and having trouble keeping up supply, you really need to keep working on getting baby to latch. There are tricks to upping supply with a pump, but getting baby to latch will solve the problem for good.

If you really have an absolute issue with producing enough milk, first there are foods you can eat and supplements you can take. Increased stimulation is probably the most important, so nursing or pumping more is a must... lastly there are prescriptions. If you are supplementing for this reason and would like to continue nursing, a supplemental nursing system is an absolute must. Nothing wrong with supplementing if you really need to, but there are ways of doing it that don't further damage supply.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:13 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yes! thats fine, but I will tell you some babies after being breast fed then bottle fed get confused and eventually refuse the breast...all depends on the child.
    xtatianax

Answer by xtatianax at 7:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My niece had very little breastmilk, so she would nurse first and then give formula. The baby is doing great!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2010