Am I the only one who hates babysitting other people's children?

I love my child and I love children but I do not enjoy babysitting other people's children. They just have a differnt set of rules than I do. They get into things at my house that my son knows not to touch. I never babysat as a teen. It's just not my thing. Like I said I love children I just don't want to be the keeper of any but my own. Am I the only one that feels this way???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I love my son and I love my friend's kids. However, I do not like other people's children. I think it's more that I don't like the way the other parents bring up their child. I don't know. But I don't like other people's kids except my friend's kids and my own. I do not babysit for anyone else unless they really really need it. I understand how you feel.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• No, you're not!! I babysit occasionally for my friend's kids but they have pretty much the same rules we do so they know what to expect when they come here.I won't babysit for anyone unless they follow my rules. That's why I don't babysit for anyone else unless it's an absolute emergency and they really need me.If you can't follow the rules, don't come here. Now that it's summertime, all the neighborhood kids hang around here, especially in our pool, and we have 4 simple rules for swimming in the pool. You break one, you get out of the pool and no more swimming for the rest of the day, whether you're my kid or not.Works just fine!! When a child is at your house, they should be expected to follow your rules, whether babysitting or playdates.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• No you are not. I'm a grandmother of nine and I love them all but I do not relish babysitting. I will if it's for something important but my philosophy is "you wanted them. you had them. you watch them". I don't have the patience any more for them so I just enjoy them in short visits and preferably in their home! as for ppl outside the family, I won't watch them unless it's an emergency. Gosh I sound so mean!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I thought it was only me! I feel like I'm mean towards other children I have to babysit. Don't know why! But I feel the same way.
    Anonymous

• Nope, your not alone. Love my (adult) kids, but I WONT babysit for anyones kids. We will see how I feel when and IF grandkids ever come along. But I dont want to sit for other peoples kids. I do like other peoples kids, just not in my home. I rfuse to baby proof my house. People should teach their kids about other peoples stuff and not to touch things to begin with. Just my opinion.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I'm the same way! I even get annoyed by my nieces and nephews. I dont mind babysitting as long as they act right. Scream and yelling, back talking, not listening, fight, .. just so annoying!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 4:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I'm the same way too! If I am going to babysit for someone else, I ONLY do it at their house. If their kid breaks something or makes a mess, it's not really my problem. Plus, if the kids are at MY house, I feel like they should follow my rules...
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• My friends all know that you dont call Auntie K if you need a sitter. They also know that unless they can deal with me and MY rules in my home, that it's best if we visit outside the home or at their house.
    My nieces are a different story, but then again my sisters and I have very simular rules..
    mamaswholub

Answer by mamaswholub at 10:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• i LOVE my son.....i LOVE spending one on one time with him....but i cant stand 99% of other kids!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I know exactly how you feel! I have four children, so people assume I like all children. NOT!!! I have the same problem. The other children don't seem to get our rules and wind up in way too much stuff! Love my own, not everyone elses!
    MomOfMany78

Answer by MomOfMany78 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2008