Is there a polite way to turn religious door to door knockers away?

I am not religious, I don't attend any particular church, but I hate to be rude when the (religious) come nocking. Is there a polite way to turn them away quickly without having to hear them out for 15 min.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just tell them I have my own religion and not interested.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• We never even opened the door. It was annoying to hear them knock for two or three minutes...but eventually they moved on and we were able to go about our day :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Right away I'll just politely say "thank you but I'm not interested" or something like that...then I close the door. It's brief, to the point and it's not rude.
    Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 12:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I don't open the door. Even if they hear me coming down the steps to answer. The eventually leave. And if they see me out working on my yard and approach me, I let them know I am happy with my religion. Usually that does the trick
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I get Jehovahs witnesses all the time at my door. I am a born again christian, so I don't have an interest in their speeches, but I don't think its okay to be rude. So...I just take the brochure and say thank you have a great day and then throw it away. They don't usually push conversation on me and don't press me for answers. It makes me sad for them that they think God loves them more when they do this or that they are earning their way to heaven. Its just not the case.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• this is soo funny, my husband loves it when the mormans come to our door. My husband used to be morman before we got married, he converted so we could get married in my church. He loves to invite them in our house and talk to them forever about conflicts in the book of morman and wants to see what they say about it. He even carries around the book of morman with his notes and highlighted parts in it so he can show them what he thinks is wrong with it. If we see them at a store he will hurry to the car and grab his book. I am always like honey leave them alone they dont want to hear you. I think they get a little surprised sometimes, and they actually try leaving haha.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I like talking with them, I see it as a way to witness my faith to them. If you're not interested, just say so. I've never had anyone try to force their way through my door.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I talk to them as well. I've been on this general forum enough for ladies to know I don't believe that the end times are still out in the future, and when that subject comes up, I really get into the discussion! Lol... Doesn't take long for them to leave. They show me things that haven't been fulfilled, and I show them the time statements in the Bible. They can't all be true...
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I don't avoid them, but usually they leave pretty fast when I tell them I don't believe in god. I'm not rude, but I think they just don't know where to start if they aren't dealing with someone who is already at least on the same page as they are. I haven't had anyone come by in ages... maybe they have my house marked as "Don't bother" hehe. I will never forget, my best friends Grandmother was a real spit fire and well read Baptist -- she LOVED when they would come by. She would make coffee and have them debating for hours. This same lady took on professors at my friends Catholic college too.. she was a character. Not mocking - admiring. Sharp as a tack and loved a heated discussion.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Either don't open the door OR before they start on their "schpeel" kindly tell them "thanks for being willing to talk to me but I'm not interested. Have a good day" and close the door. I usually have my foot behind the door with it not opened all the way so it's easier to just close it quickly and gently.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 1:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2008