Christmas is coming, and I have no money...

and I'm STILL excited for it! I have so many fun things planned that don't really require a lot of money like making homemade decorations and gifts, baking with the kids, decorating the house with what we already have, and this year focusing more on the true meaning and spirit of Christmas. Anyone else broke, but still excited for the holidays? What kinds of fun free or cheap stuff do you do as a family for the holidays?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Holidays

• broke and not excited at all cuz all im hearing from my 4 year old is mommy i want this mommmy i want that for x mas so no its not going to be fun and not looking forward to it at all

Don't worry too much, the 4 yr old will never remember anyhow...watch Christmas movies and cartoons, play games, get some stuff from the dollar store- books or stuffed animals and whatnot so they have something to open...if you do Santa- we always did the Santa stuff so it was unopened under the tree and was only ever one or two things, the rest were from us. Make sure to decorate- it will lift your spirits too :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:42 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• well idk where u guys live but in mich i know The Salvation Army Churches just started taking applications for Christmas assistance for low income families. I would look into it the sooner the better.
    ahsweetness

Answer by ahsweetness at 3:42 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We make felt snowmen to decorate the tree and bake cookies, breads & cakes to hand out.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 9:04 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 3:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yeah this year the kids know we are focusing on togetherness, doing fun things. We always make homemade decorations and stuff, it's just that this year I will have more time for it because I won't be out shopping as much :) They will still get a few nice presents from my mom, and a few small things from us, but probably nothing like they are used to. And they don't care, thankfully. I think that by focusing more on doing things together, it's making them feel a lot better like I would rather spend my time with them than be out buying stuff for them. So that's nice. I have to focus on the positive or the financial burdens we are under would drive me insane lol!
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 3:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yeah same here i cant think about the financial issues and not to mention i just found out im pregnant....my birth controll failed me
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 3:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Aw! That must be a big surprise. Well I hope things start to work out better for you! PM me if you need to chat, lol.
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 3:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yeah it was a big surpirse and shock
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 3:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• i'm broke to just barely make enough money to pay rent and utilities wouldn't have food if not for local churches and foodstamps i go without and shop thift stores for clothes the local thift store and dfacs work together to give free clothing for Christmas i plan on a simple meal with family and friends,a new friend i meet on the internet is planning to come out to visit and i'm so excited, as for gifts check out the local lions club or toys for tots,local churches will help you too
    beckybuck

Answer by beckybuck at 9:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• we had a rough year last Christmas...we still baked cookies and decorated the house and the tree was beautiful
    I bought a few cheap things for gifts when I coulld and it turned out fine.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:38 AM on Oct. 13, 2010