telling time

how can i teach my son to tell time??? hes 7

thaena

Asked by thaena at 3:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow, that's a tough one without visuals here online...but I'll give it a go.

For my son, who couldn't tell time until he was 9, I printed up a series of clock faces on a paper, leaving off the hands.

I explained the time intervals between the numbers - the 1 o'clock spot is 5 minutes after the hour, 2 o'clock is 10 minutes after - and so on. Then we practiced with JUST the big hand drawn in. Whatever it pointed at, that numbers position was "X" minutes after the hour (don't worry about "minutes til" the hour yet). Once he had that down we went to JUST the small hand. If its pointing at the 1 o'clock position, its 1 o'clock, etc. Again, draw in JUST ONE hand for practice.

When there is a good grasp of both, draw them both into the printed clocks and practice.

After that, over time, you can tackle the other minutes (1-4, 6-9, etc), minutes "til", 1/4 and 1/2 hours, seconds, and digital.

Hope this helps :)
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 6:02 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Start with the hour. Go get a cheap student clock(you know, one of those plastic ones that you can move the hands). Tell him what the hour and minute hands are and start by changing the hours(3:00,6:00, 5:00 etc). Show him what the time is(again just on the hour to start) in both digital and analoge. Show him how to write it, as well as how to read it. Then once he has the hang of the Hour, introduce the half hour(3:30,6:30,etc). Then once he has a hang of that move to the quarter hour(3:15,6:15,etc). This is how our curriculum has introduced time and DD(5) has never had an issue with it. Use alot of games and repetition.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We also have always used both hand. On the little clock we have the hour hand is red and the minute hand is blue. I think it is easier for them to pick up if you include both. It has never been work, or difficult for DD. Right now she is getting the hang of the quarter hours. Like 3:15, etc. She can already tell you the hour, and half hour, and is starting to make out everything inbetween on an analoge clock. She has no problems telling time with the digital.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:27 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• During the day, point out the time when you're doing things. "Oh look, it's 3:00, let's have snack" or whatever.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• we use a play clock. we start with the short hand the hr then the long hand the min which she knows to count by 5's to get it right and just keep practicing gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• dolar stores have foam clocks..i used that with my daughter, it worked good
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010