black poop in 5 month old breastfed baby

she fell about a foot a couple of hours ago, but I also gave her grape juice, she hasnt pooped in 2 days and suddenly she has a big watery dark poo and I dont know if this is normal or if I should go to the hospital

SavanaF.

Asked by SavanaF. at 5:53 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I doubt that little of a fall would have done anything. It COULD be the grape juice. She most likely isn't ready for anything other than breastmilk and it didn't digest well. I really don't know though. Is she behaving normally? If everything else is fine, I would just keep a close eye on her. If she is lethargic, feverish, extremely fussy, etc - call a doctor.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It probably was the grape juice. She doesn't need anything more than the breastmilk right now.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Im sure she is fine but I would call your doctor just to be on the safe side, it cant hurt to call :)
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 8:02 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If it were blood it would most likely also appear "tar like". It is most likely just from the juice. Was it purple grape juice? I know that beets always made my son's poop look black.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• bananas do it too!
    PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 10:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Change in diet often = change in stool. I would guess it was the grape juice too, especially if it was purple.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2010