Do You

allow your children to play with Toy Guns?

There has been some controversey over this lately and I'm just curious.

Personally, I think that Gun Safety is the most important thing you can teach a child. My DH grew up on a farm and we are raising our kids on that same farm. My DH hunts and believe in protecting his family. Our Son will be getting his first BB gun for Christmas to start target practice. He is seven. He has toy guns and has since he was litte. He has an unlce and a great uncle who are both cops. He pretends to hunt/be a cop/rescure people/etc all the time. He knows that he is not allowed to point his guns at anyone and that they are only for playing.
I do not allow him to play games like Grand Theft Auto or any kind of game that promotes killing people/violence.
I just don't see anything wrong with little boys playing with Guns as long as they understand the difference in violence/play and real/fake guns

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 6:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• my 4yr old plays with nerf guns, but not realistic looking ones. I also agree, we teach guns safety, I dont let him play violent games. I think the perspective on guns really depends where your from. I am from a small town and people hunt, so guns are a part of life. I have a friend who is from New Jersey and wont let her son even use a stick as a gun and wont let him know or have anything to do with them.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:01 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I agree, as long as your child knows the difference, and you and your S/O have the real ones safely put away, I dont see anything wrong with it.. Im happy to hear you don't let him play games such as grand theft auto ect. For a child that young I just feel like games like that can confuse them and instill the wrong things in their growing minds. So kuddo's to you! I think you are handling the "gun" issue wonerfully with your child.
    xtatianax

Answer by xtatianax at 7:01 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I had a hard time letting my son play with any toys guns that looked real....I let him play with nerf guns that arent realistic. It was just something that bothered me to see my little boy playing with. But I do think so people go over board, I live in New Jersey and there are some fanatical people around here. I have heard of kindergartners being suspended for playing cops and robbers and using their fingers or sticks as guns....I think that may be a little much.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• YES! And here is why....

Children play in order to figure out their world. When children play cowboys and Indians (yes I'm old, LOL) They are role playing something they don't quite understand. After a time "Bang you're dead" hits a child funny and they realize that there IS nothing after that, even though they or their target can get up and play cowboys and Indians again.

Its at this point that it isn't enjoyable anymore, because they had the epiphany that made them feel a little creepy. These are the kids that tend to take gun ownership and usage more seriously...because they understand...it clicked...early on.

Many who have not had this role play don't get that "click" until its too late.

So yes, even my girls played with toy guns! As will my grand children.
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 8:02 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would allow, but she hasn't shown any interest
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't mind ones that don't look realistic, but I admit that gun play makes me nervous. I have never been around guns, will not keep one in the house so do not know anything about gun safety. I don't like it. I don't make them stop when they pretend w/their fingers, but I would rather they not.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My dh is a big hunter and we have many guns. When my first ds was born I did not allow him to have guns at all. I just never wanted him to associate guns with toys. Ever. He really wasn't interested in them either. But with his brother, he turned everything into a gun. Clothes hangers, shoes, wooden spoons! It didn't matter what it was! So we did buy him toy guns, but we are educating him about gun safety. (We did with his brother, but he had no interest in them).
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yes, we are military, and to my children guns are the things the good guys (soldiers) use to protect our country! Plus my 7 yo plays GTA and he knows that it is NOT real! And not okay in real life, and if you ask him, he (from his perspective) is the good guy! He even drives safely...LOL. Sooo In order to teach a good use of guns, you need to instill in mentally, and not worry about the negative if you have enver shown them the negative :)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't buy my kids guns but I haven't forbidden them to play with them.  My son is 9 and just makes guns out of his legos.  Most of his friends have toy guns of some kind so they share with him.  He's been asking for one of those Nerf guns that shoots foam darts but I won't get it.  I know he would use it to shoot at his sisters.  Him and a friend were playing with one one day and I took it to show him how it would hurt to get shot with one of those darts so don't point it at other kids.  I didn't know how to work it and it had a hair trigger.  I ended up shooting him in the eye at point blank range.  Him and his friend thought it was hilarious (he didn't get hurt).  I was like, "SEE WHAT I MEAN!"

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2010