What should I bring in my hospital bag?

Im going in to have my second c-section on Monday, and was just wondering if anyone had any advise on what to pack or not to pack... Im getting very overwhelmed about it & wondered what women packed that they actually used/didn't use.

xtatianax

Asked by xtatianax at 7:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Shampoo, conditioner and body soap....the hospital i went to didnt have any except little bottles of body wash so I had to make DH run out to get some. Also a sports bra if your not BF and really super stretchy lounge pants to be easy on the belly. I underpacked cause I didnt know I was getting a c section so my DH had to do alot of running back and forth for me.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:29 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Extra Pads, comfy pajamas and robe, footie socks, my own shampoo and soap, my own coffee cup, .....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• An outfit or two for the baby, especially a coming home outfit.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 7:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Pack ..Camera, a comfortable (oversized) night gown, loose outfit to wear home (including simple shoes or sandals that you can just slip on), babies first outfit and blanket, phone book, something with your favorite music, a brush or comb and maybe a ponytail holder, money or checkbook for babys first pictures.

Dont Pack .. books, laptop computer, slippers (the hospital footies realy are easier), make up, jewlary, birth announcements or thank you cards, any personal care items except maybe deodorant (the hospital can supply you with the rest upon request)

Thats all I can think of right now......its been over 20 years since I brought a baby home :)

Congratts and good luck :)
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 7:38 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I guess I should explain my "Dont Pack" list a bit.

After a c-section you probably arent going to feel like filling out cards, you will probably be asleep to much and / or interupted too much to read a book, you probably arent going to feel like fixing your hair and face up until you get home, jewlary just gets in the way or gets lost. You can always ask for a second or even third sample bottle of body wash and shampoo :)

Mostly you are just going to want to sleep, hold the baby, be clean, and be comfortable.
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 7:46 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• when i had my c section i pack pads shampoo body wash tooth brush tooth past the every day stuff enuff for the stay and i packed a few diapers and cloths for my boys just the every day stuff i did not big many diapers for my boys because the hospital had some they used while they were there good luck and congrats on baby number two
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 8:18 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You could probably search this question and find a ton of answers also, but I recommend a boppy pillow if you're breastfeeding. I didn't take mine and wish I would have. Also, I was glad I had my slippers and change of clothes. Those gowns are gross. I did use some makeup because I had people from work visiting. I had a c-section too, so I took movies to watch at night. Our hospital had DVD players in the rooms. Camera, and video camera with extra batteries. Cute outfit for baby to have picture taken in. Usually a photographer comes around to take a few pictures. They try to sell them to you, or post them on the hospital's website.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I packed my camera, some snacks, coming home clothes for me, a night gown for each night i would be there as well as a clean pair of panties for each day, a book to read, (a few things for labor but you wont need that..lol), changes of clothes for DH cause he stayed with me the whole time, cash for the vending machines, and a couple onesies for the baby to look cute for visitors, as well as a coming home outfit for him, phone charger, and then the obvious toiletries(brush, toothbrush/paste, deodorant, etc), I used all the things i took, and pads and nursing pads for the ride home. And its a good thing i did cause my pad was full and we had to pull over to change it..lol..And my ta tas were leaking into the nursing pads big time. :) Dont stress about it mama!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2010