What is a good long term birth control??

I don't want to take anything that is going to make me gain weight or have trouble losing it... Ive never been a fan of birth control, its always just seemed like it messes with a woman's body to much to me... But I dont want to have another baby for atleast 3-5 yrs...any advise?

xtatianax

Asked by xtatianax at 7:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mirena can cause you to be infertile if it goes through your uterine walls. You can still get pregnant on Mirena, it can cause you to miscarry late term and it can cause ectopic pregnancies. To me it is just not worth the risk. Before you decide I would look up the side effects because no matter how small the chance, it could be you that the problem happens to.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• my hubby got a vasectomy.. best thing we ever did :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:53 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Learn Natural Family Planning....there are several methods....but it involves knowing your body very well, and no drugs....BUT you have to learn it well.....I would work with someone trained that will help you at first...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:46 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have heard good things about the Mirena IUD. It may shorten or stop your periods altogether and you can leave it in for up to five years.
    I actually had my tubes tied, but don't really recommend going that route. Before I had the tubal, I used the Nuva Ring and it worked very well.
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 8:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I was going to suggest the vasectomy for your husband also, BUT if you are looking into having more kids down the road I have heard good things about Mirena and the Depo shot. I personally have not used either one of them, or any other form of birth control for the past five years or so since my husband did get a vasectomy (woohoo! It freaking rocks!).
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have the mirena IUD and it is the greatest. You dont even realize that it is there. Periods are shorter no weight gain. You can have in for up to 5 yrs and you can have a doc take out before then if you decide to have a child within the 5 yrs.
    Tanya2kids

Answer by Tanya2kids at 9:06 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have had mirena for 2 1/2 yrs it works great n is the most effective birth controll but i have heard n expeirenced alot of stomache pains and it could cause you to get a cist or other health problums
    babyjizmalife

Answer by babyjizmalife at 12:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2010