Just wondering...

I am getting a lot of slack from friends and Family who work while I stay home w/ my kids. They always say things like,"Why do u need a car? You really don't go anywhere?" And I get a lot of, "Aren't you bored all day just talking to kids? I NEED adult conversation once in awhile. Don't you miss that?"
It just makes me feel like I am not as important as they are or that I am raising my kids in a bubble. (I get that a lot, too. That they need social skills, etc...)
I never say anything to them about going to work, why do they feel the need to put me and the way I raise my kids down? I know a lot of you think I should just ignore them, but after hearing it all the time, it starts to get to you.
Any advice to help pick up my spirits? I know, I really shouldn't care what they think/say, but I sometimes do.

Hilary7J

Asked by Hilary7J at 12:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• Just calmly repeat what you said at the end of your question...
    I never say anything negative to you about you going to work. Why do you feel you have to say something negative to me about my staying home?
    If you feel like it, you can add...
    If you are just curious about what I do all day and if I still find my life rewarding and fullfillling, please just ask and we can talk about it.

Don't say anything nasty or negataive about their choices. Just be polite and point out that they are being rude.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• tell them how u feel and tell them its seriuos. tell them so what its not their problem or business. and u have no one else to do the job like u can so shut the hell up and leave u alone.. thats what i would do if they pissed me off enough... being a mom is a hrd job. u have to cook clean and yell teach and play all day while keeping ur sanity.. without getting payed for it... they can kiss ur ass sorry i just got wrapped up in the moment lol .. if u take my advice i bet they'll leave u alone lol
    Anonymous

• That's how I have felt for years. Now my kids are in highschool and I still stay at home. And I feel like I'm looked upon as lazy ..."have a boring life". I spend all day doing laundry for 5, cleaning, running errands, cooking...and the next day it starts all over again. I really resent the fact that so many people sterotype SAHM's. My husband works hard and provides us with a good living. We budget our money well so that I can be here for my kids. We don't feel like we have to answer to anyone or justify or choices. As long as we are paying our pay in life--that is all that matters.
    Anonymous

• I have been a SAHM for less than a year and sometimes I think about going back to work just to get a break from the work I do as a SAHM. It is hard work and they have no idea until they have done it. When I was working I only really cleaned once a week, now it's three times a day. I heard that if a SAHM got paid for what she did it would be around 100,000 a yr.
    And dont you know they call us SAHM domestic engeneers :)
    Just be polite and blunt about how you feel, hopefully they get the message.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 2:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2008