Bullying

Have you ever experienced bullying? Do you feel that kids today have it harder because they can be bullied on the internet too? Do you think that bullying alone is the reason why some kids have recently been committing suicide?

akmccarty

Asked by akmccarty at 7:53 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• When in school sure a few times.I just think kids have it hard today in ways that I (and others) didn't years ago..some things are the same..and in some ways we had it harder.I tend to believe that when someone takes themselves out of this world there was more going on prior to any bullying...not to say the bullying is excused at all.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes, I have; and yes, I think kids today have it worse. There's no escape from a bully today.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes I was bullied and yes kids have it worse today when it comes to bullying.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:01 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I wasn't bullied but I do think kids have it worse today due to the internet.
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I agree with tinamatt, when I was a child, when I got on the bus to go home the bullying was over. (Unless I ran into them at the movies or something-which was a nightmare). But it was bad at school, and the teachers always told me that I was to blame for the bullying. I don't feel that attitude has changed. And that "kids will be kids" attitude is what prevents any real progress in stopping bullying.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I agree that in some instances school staff isn't doing enough to help curb bullying although,I do think bullying will always happen.What worked for me to end the bullying I endured was to stand,face it,and kick butt.That worked for a couple of my children who endured some bullying as well.My kids have never been bullied since and they do not bully others.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes, yes, and yes. People who insist that there must be other underlying reasons are grossly underestimating what goes on. There is no difference between bullying and child abuse. Abused children are easily driven to suicide. It's not somehow less harmful because the abuse is coming from a pack of mean girls instead of the child's own mother.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:42 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes, yes, and no. I don't think that the bullying is the only thing that drove them to suicide, although it may have been the bigger factor.

I think that in order to help stop all of the bullying that is going on is to teach our kids to NOT take it. My kids know that if someone starts to pick on them, they tell a teacher or adult. If that doesn't work, I will talk to the parents and/or the school, and if that still doesn't work, although violence is NOT an answer, they are to take care of it themselves. The only way to get someone to stop picking on you is to show them that you have had enough and that you aren't going to take it anymore. More often than not they are picking on someone they believe would never stand up to them, but they are really scared people inside just acting tough on the outside so it doesn't show.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes, kids just have too much pressure and things going on in their lives they feel like there is no way out and they just don't know how to deal with it. If they had some kind of hope like maybe God in their life they'd have a reason to live. As far as the internet have the computer where you can moniter it at all times. If it continues report it or take the computer away. You can't be bullied on the computer unless you allow it to happen
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I was semi-bullied. I say semi because I never had things thrown at me, I never was shoved around and stuff... but I was picked on very badly. I think kids today DO have it much much worse. Not only do they have it on the internet, but as soon as something happens you have people texting and no matter where the child turns there is someone getting the news. :(
    I think the bullying COULD be the root cause of many of the suicides... but also their support structure couldn't possibly be very sound or at least sound enough or they wouldn't even have that thought cross their minds.Television doesn't make the matters much better because they see that other kids are using suicide to escape their lives. Then the internet also promotes those thoughts as it broadcasts all over about how another teen has chosen that route. But I feel that if they had more of a supportive atmosphere and paretns who were more ACTIVE in doing (cont
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2010