• In the Spotlight:

breast pumping/feeding

Ok i plan to breast feed im 32 weeks! I have 3 questions... 1 when are you supposed to start pumping? 2 how do you store the milk? 3 can you like pump and do it in the bottle in public? i really dont wanna flop my goodies out for everyone to see lol!

brittany320

Asked by brittany320 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Most doctors and posts will say to start pumping a few weeks before you return to work that way you get used to it and also your baby might struggle using a bottle. You should wait until about 6 weeks or so to introduce a bottle to your baby because it could cause nipple confusion. Some people will bottlefeed breastmilk to their babies in public. Just make sure that you wait long enough so that your baby does not get confused. I exclusively pump and feed my milk to my baby in a bottle because of latching/breastfeeding issues. You can always get a nursing cover to use in public and that is like putting a blanket over you when you are going to feed. Then no one sees your goods. :-)
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 12:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• dont pump till the baby is born... store milk in 4 oz containers... in the fridge up to 5 days i think and dont microwave... i would go to the bath room and pump or feed rather than sit there and feed in public... i have seen moms do it and didnt notice until a few min later that they were feeding lol gl on ur choices
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 12:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Your breast milk doesn't come until 2-3 days after birth. You can freeze it and I wouldn't want to pump in public.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• ok if i freeze it how would i feed it to the baby lol! thaw it? cant i just put it in the refrigerator instead of freezer?
    brittany320

Answer by brittany320 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Thaw it in warm water, doesn't take that long to thaw out actually
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• And yes you can put it in the fridge. Ask your OB for more info I'm sure they have it.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Oh, and is use Lansinoh milk bags. You can store milk in the fridge for 3-5 days, sometimes a few days longer. You can store it in the freezer on your fridge for 2 weeks and in a deep freeze for 6 months. I like the Lansioh bags.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 12:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• ok i get it lol thanks! its my 1st time kinna nervous because im getting really close now!
    brittany320

Answer by brittany320 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Your very welcome and gl with that precious gift!
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i don't blame you on the letting it all hang out in public thing!!

1) i guess you could start pumping when your milk comes in...for me that wasn't until my son was about a day old...but i would ask your doctor about that just to make sure.

2) there are different things you can do. you can keep it in the bottle you pump it into and just put a couple in the fridge or if you're looking to freeze it, there are special containers that you can get to do that. as far as freezer life i'm not sure but i know it's at least a month.

3) sure, just pump out a bottle or two and have it in the diaper bag.

i hope this helps at least some. good luck with your new comer!!
    soccermama08

Answer by soccermama08 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2008