If you didn't marry your first true love, how did you get over them?

I'm happy and in love with my husband. He's everything I need and want in a husband. He's the most loving, sweet, caring person I've ever met and I'd do anything for him to be happy.

Thing is, I don't think I ever got over my first love. We're both happily married to other people and have our own families.

Maybe I just miss the friendship we had when we were kids (14).

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• You probably do just miss the friendship. But you control your thought processes, and some people have a tendency to idealize the past. So, whenever you find your mind going there, you say no, and change your thoughts to something else....don't daydream about him....fill your life with what is good and joyful now....fill your thoughts with the same...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I realize that I am not the same person I was at that age and therefore, he most likely isn't either. We have grown up and that means that while we had a great time, we most likely wouldn't be in love now.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• well i had to see that the other person was no good for me ,, i held on to him for years ,, with blind eyes and now i know after seeing him again,,,, that he is really not the one for me, i am much better off where i am,,, i hope u the best.. i do know how hard it is
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• i realize that they were a practice run..
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• i wasn't over him for years, and then out of nowhere, after years of not talking, he up and called me one day. I got to know him all over again, and realized he was not the same person i fell in love with. i loved who he used to be. after that, i felt nothing for him.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It's only in the last 3 years it's occurred to me I'm over my first love. I'm 43 and we split when I was 21. I still feel an affection for him but my memories have no hold on me anymore. If I saw him now it would finally not phase me a all. It's one of the reasons I hope my children will delay getting romantically involved with someone until they are able to commit to marriage ultimately too. You give so much of yourself away when you fall in love and then that love is broken. Although I knew my husband was a far superior and enjoyable man to my first 'love', that first 'love' remained a fantasy for a long long time.
    PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 10:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Never fully got over him, but I know why I'm not with him today and that's all I need.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't think we ever get completely over our first true love there is always that spot in the back of our heads and a spot in our hearts for them, and we sometimes wonder how they are and if they are married with children
    patsymay84

Answer by patsymay84 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Time helped me.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• he showed his true colors and it was done with. i could care less about him but i am happy that he is happy cause i'm happy with a great husband and wonderful son
    linseyfrayer

Answer by linseyfrayer at 3:02 AM on Oct. 15, 2010